Votes
Brett Parker
  • North Little Rock, AR
Votes |
Umbrella Insurance with Friends?

Brett Parker
  • North Little Rock, AR
Posted Sep 13 2016, 09:32

I can't find anything about Umbrella Insurance among a group of investors. 

Me and two others are looking to invest in a SFH property. We don't want to form a LLC due to the poor finance options out there. Per the posts I've read, Umbrella insurance is the way to go. 

After talking to my agent, he said each person would need to get umbrella coverage because its tied to your personal assets. That would be around $400 per person or $1,200 total which would effect our Cash Flow analysis. 

Is this the case? Are there other options I'm not thinking about? 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Wong
  • Investor
  • Milpitas, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milpitas, CA
Replied Sep 13 2016, 10:24

Why are there poor finance options for a LLC? I thought the usual thing was just to get conventional financing under your name so you can buy the property, and then transfer it under a LLC.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Parker
  • North Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • North Little Rock, AR
Replied Sep 13 2016, 11:12

With a LLC you can only get ARMs from what I found. My goal is to buy and hold so this wouldn't be the best option - I want conventional 30-year.

I thought if you get financing under your name and transfer to LLC you risk the "due clause".

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Miller
  • Moses Lake, WA
Votes |
  • Moses Lake, WA
Replied Sep 13 2016, 14:26

I would shop around for a better umbrella policy. Ours is $270 a year and we have a lot to cover. 

User Stats

Votes
Brett Parker
  • North Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • North Little Rock, AR
Replied Sep 13 2016, 15:47

Thanks Ann. But going back to the original question, if there are (3) investors in our group, would EACH person need to get their own umbrella policy if we went this route?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Sep 13 2016, 18:29

Then forget the "umbrella insurance" (which is an extra, individual policy, on top of, the subject property insurance).  Just get higher limits on the rental property liability.

User Stats

Votes
Mike McCarthy
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 13 2016, 20:37

Umbrella insurance is a personal policy, which will cover your policies (home, auto, etc).  I was just quoted $270/yr for a $1M policy for home/auto/1 sfh rental.  

I think it's worth it, even without investment properties.  You never know when someone might get hurt at your home, or involved in a serious auto accident which is over and above your standard policy liability coverage.  In our sue-happy society, having a little extra insurance is usually a good thing.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Parker
  • North Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • North Little Rock, AR
Replied Sep 14 2016, 06:19

@Account Closed, my thoughts exactly. I would hate to trigger a due on sale clause. John - do you have any thoughts on the best way a group of three guys need to approach the financing aspect? We originally thought about LLC but we would be restricted to an ARM which we don't want.

User Stats

Votes
Derek Lacy
  • Insurance Agent
  • Maitland, FL
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Maitland, FL
Replied Sep 14 2016, 09:35

Brett Parker

Not sure which turnip truck your insurance guy fell off of, but if he is trying to use personal policies to cover a business entity, there will be issues.

You are forming a partnership. There are many benefits but also many perils to a partnership, consult a local attorney on that.

Thus, you need a commercial insurance policy. A commercial umbrella should not cost over $400 on the high side, and that would cover the partnership.

We are licensed in all US jurisdictions so just PM if you want a more specific consult.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Parker
  • North Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • North Little Rock, AR
Replied Sep 14 2016, 13:14

@Derek Lacy, awesome stuff - big reason I post here is for experts like yourself. 

To get a commercial umbrella policy, do we have form a LLC or can we get a commercial policy without one?