• Investor
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
Single Family vs BRRR vs Multifamily?

David Lowe
  • Investor
  • Summerville, SC
Posted Oct 27 2016, 09:51

I still feel pretty new to this real estate investing thing, so I am having trouble comparing options.  My past experience includes two town homes that were more or less move-in ready, three single-family homes that needed quite a bit of work, and one single-family home that was move-in ready.  My current portfolio includes three single-family homes (two in Marietta, GA and one in Charleston, SC) and one town home in Kennesaw, GA.

For my next deal I was planning to look for another single-family home (in Charleston) needing only minimal cosmetic work, but then my brain started churning.  I have saved about $30-40k for the next property intending to put 20% down on a $150k property.  Instead, I could look for a ~$20k property, fix it up, refinance, and do it again.  Another option would be to sell one or two of the single-family properties in Marietta (they are paid off and each should sell for between $60-70k) to create a down-payment for a fourplex in Charleston.  How do I begin to compare the pros/cons/returns/hassle of such different alternatives?

Loading replies...