• Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Crystal Lake, IL
Votes |
How to get a free roof

Eddie Egelston
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Crystal Lake, IL
Posted Aug 21 2017, 21:15

Whenever a cloud passes overhead in my neighborhood, the "storm chasers" aka roofers start ringing the doorbell saying hail was in the area and they can likely get me approved for a new asphalt-shingle roof and siding. I personally think it's a crock. The house is 13 years old, with aluminium siding. LMFAO WTF kind of hail would we have to get to damage aluminium siding? Most of my neighbors, with houses of the same age have gotten roofs replaced. I call BS because my roof faces the same "hail storms" and is functioning just fine.

My question is, does anyone use this to their advantage on investment properties they own? Specifically, flips they own? I'd imagine if you bought a house, then quickly filed a insurance claim, the insurance company would want to see the dates of the last hail storm, and they would check to be sure you owned the house on or after that date. How often do these "destructive hail storms" pass through any given area every year?

I'm not advocating for, or insinuating fraud. I'm just wondering how, if ever, these types of claims can assist with flipping properties. Thoughts? Stories?

Loading replies...