What's your preference? ---> VoiP or Landline?

8 Replies

When using a phone to speak to sellers/buyers, what do you prefer - Landline telephone? Or, VoiP?

I don't use a cellphone because mine sucks and drops calls, so I have not included it as a choice, respectively. Please choose from the two choices above and explain WHY you prefer/choose whichever choice you've chosen! :)

Thank you to everyone who provides an answer.

@Joe C.   We do invest in 2 states, on each we have a local Google voice numbers,  these options have been working really well for the last 5 years,  Google voice is free and easy to work with 

They are the same thing.  A "landline" as you refer to it is basically two copper wires connected to a telephone network (the telecom term is a "POTS" line which translates to "plain old telephone system".  "VoIP" as you refer to it basically a telephone call that occurs over the internet that is delivered either via those same two copper wires (if you get your internet through your phone company) or the conduit installed by your cable company (if you get your internet through your cable company).

"Wireless" is your cell phone.

My business runs on VoIP (Ring Central) connected to my Cable System's network.  When cable goes down, so does my phone system at my home office.  When the power goes out, so does my system at my home office (the cable router is connected to electricity).  I forward my calls to my cell phone so I don't miss them.  Works great for me.

You can do the same things with a landline...I haven't had one in many years but the reason I went with VoIP is because I pay one fee, once per year, and don't have to worry about long distance.  I also get text messages on that line and I can send data via those lines.  Any incoming faxes get forwarded to me via email in the form of a .pdf document.

Originally posted by @Joe C. :

When using a phone to speak to sellers/buyers, what do you prefer - Landline telephone? Or, VoiP?

I don't use a cellphone because mine sucks and drops calls, so I have not included it as a choice, respectively. Please choose from the two choices above and explain WHY you prefer/choose whichever choice you've chosen! :)

Thank you to everyone who provides an answer.

I lived in an area that was extremely rural and had horrible phone service for years. Everyone out there has a landline. Now that I'm back in a major city, I exclusively use cell phones. Verizon has by far the best service in Omaha.

If cell service is spotty in your area, you need to get a landline for your business.

Originally posted by @Ed E. :

They are the same thing.  A "landline" as you refer to it is basically two copper wires connected to a telephone network (the telecom term is a "POTS" line which translates to "plain old telephone system".  "VoIP" as you refer to it basically a telephone call that occurs over the internet that is delivered either via those same two copper wires (if you get your internet through your phone company) or the conduit installed by your cable company (if you get your internet through your cable company).

"Wireless" is your cell phone.

My business runs on VoIP (Ring Central) connected to my Cable System's network.  When cable goes down, so does my phone system at my home office.  When the power goes out, so does my system at my home office (the cable router is connected to electricity).  I forward my calls to my cell phone so I don't miss them.  Works great for me.

You can do the same things with a landline...I haven't had one in many years but the reason I went with VoIP is because I pay one fee, once per year, and don't have to worry about long distance.  I also get text messages on that line and I can send data via those lines.  Any incoming faxes get forwarded to me via email in the form of a .pdf document.

I would wholeheartedly agree that RingCentral is a great way to go.

https://www.ringcentral.com/pro/plansandpricing.ht...

The Professional plan is cheap and includes all the basics that you would need to run a business professionally. Nothing against Google Voice but it does not offer the complete package and spending $20 a month for a full phone system (mobile app too) is just a no brainer for me.

Old fashioned landlines sound the best but the difference is so tiny that it wouldn't affect my decisions one way or the other. If my former landline company (United, then Sprint, then Embarq, then Centurylink) knocked on my door and gave me the service for free, I would take it and use it, but I wouldn't pay for it versus other communication options I already have. 

I hate cell phones personally, reception is never perfect and all calls break up regardless of quality.. I lost mine 2 months ago, which was only used for my wife to call me, and have not bothered to replace it yet.

I prefer landlines. Don't know anything about VoiP but have no reason to change.

For those that have cell phones and don't like the signal quality, check to see if you can route your calls via the internet.  This is a setting on iPhones and I believe Android/Other phones have the same capability.  Essentially, you can set it up so the call goes through via the internet through a WiFi signal (VoIP technology) as opposed as through a cell tower.  This makes things a bit more reliable when making calls.

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate everyone posting. I have decided to use a traditional landline. All were very helpful; thanks again for taking some time to post. Have a nice day. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here