FHA/VA "stay in it a year" clause question

3 Replies

I understand signing the FHA/VA loan means you intend to occupy for a certain amount of time. Wondering what that amount of time is... 6 months? or 1 year? Also, being a Soldier, I will be deployed for a bit of that 1st year. I bought a multifamily, does that mean I must keep 1 unit open to finish my year while I'm deployed?

I would think that as long as you actually moved into the unit and your stuff was still there and your mail was still going there while you were deployed that you should be fine.

As someone who has used this particular track, here is what my impression of how it works. YOU have to keep the "majority" of your possessions at the address. You have to list the home as your primary address with your command, and state tax forms. Also, you have to prove that you intend to live there after your deployment, this isnt hard. Frankly, i have never heard of anyone getting checked after the papers have been signed, and plus as a deployed member you are protected from most legal issues until you return. The occupy time is one year, or longer depending on your state.

Hopefully this helped. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here