Tiny houses: has anyone been involved in developing a market

9 Replies

Trying to start out in development and investing. With the trend across the country of tiny houses... does anyone have any experience in what the market trend may be doing in this regard, especially in MA

Originally posted by @Stefan Miller :

Trying to start out in development and investing. With the trend across the country of tiny houses... does anyone have any experience in what the market trend may be doing in this regard, especially in MA

@J. Martin had a tiny house developer speak at the summit last year... who was that?

Have fun getting approved . It wont be easy 

There are a number of towns in MA that have approved tiny homes, even Nantucket has... I am a RE Broker and GC and am in works with another GC in the area MertoWest Boston... who has  a friend in a neighboring town that has 1 of the last large open acreage allowable for development. My intent is to build a Tiny house community. Close to Boston, Worcester, 1.20hr to Cape... etc... Thought is would be great for young professional commuters and or retirees.... etc.  

Hi, yes, I have been working on tiny houses for 2 years in California. It's been very frustrating because the zoning laws in this state are draconian. Basically, mobile homes developed bad reputations in the 1970 when they became synonymous with trailer park slums (they used to catch on fire a lot due to poor workmanship, too). At that time counties started zoning against building more parks. Today we are living with the zoning decisions made in the 70's which could not  have anticipated the evolution of these products into tiny homes.

In other states, with fewer zoning laws, tiny homes are much easier to bring into the housing mix choices. I dont know about the laws in MA.

Is that the info you wanted?

For it to work you would have to go where it is already approved. Do not try to reinvent the wheel in a new area where the communities do not already exist.

It is a special market with "special" buyers. The real money is in building/selling the homes however the market may already be flooded with builders. It is a overpriced high-end market based on the product so the customer base must exist in the area you choose. This is why you need to invest where the tiny communities already exist.

If you are looking to buy and rent target resale homes since they depreciate like a car immediately upon delivery. They are a depreciating asset with low resale value.

I have had a very similar problem like @Jenifer Levini .   Had a piece of land that would have fit tiny houses perfectly.  However, after getting into trying to entitle it and the cost it would take for that and construction.  It would have been a higher price point as a regular home/condo.  Meaning that we felt it would not be attractive to sell upon completion.  Ended up walking away from the deal.

I will say I did speak with a modular home construction group that does tiny homes on the West Coast.  Very interesting aspect and the cool thing was they can be fixed to a foundation or left on an axle like a mobile home.  Maybe something to take a look at.

What is the name of the group of tiny home builders on west coast you were referring to? Would appreciate the name. Thanks

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.