Direct mail - to land owners?

4 Replies

I’m considering sending out direct mail yellow letters to a list of addresses . This time, The list is comprised of land owners. All less than 10,000 ft.² zones single family. I mostly hear of direct mail for properties but I want to target these specific individuals who own land. I do not wholesale; the purpose would be to spec build . Any experience with targeting land owners? Is this what people already do and I’m late to the game? Are the motivations the same for land vs property owner? Lastly, I was advised by a builder to not inform owners I will be building a house. Apparently they don’t like that - not sure. Any tips with language ? Thanks.

@Bab Adetiba I did a similar thing a few years ago but targeted commercial zoned properties.  I will say that do not tell them you are going to develop the land.  only thing I would recommend is come at it just like you see in the yellow letters of people that buy houses.  Be upfront that you are an investor and looking at property in there area.

I wish I had that letter template but I can't seem to find it.  However, when you get yours done I am very interested in hearing more about your success.  I mailed out about 500 and got a few responses but the responses did not meet the criteria I wanted so I passed.  

I went the route of hitting the masses.  There is good and bad in that, I would say that if you have specific land in mind maybe test drive it by specifically mailing just those.  You may be able to gauge how they react so you can adjust it before you spend a couple hundred bucks mailing out to the masses.

There are two podcast guests that I know of that have talked some on this issue one was show 46.  The other was a few shows before that can't remember at moment but I'll try to remember to update andet you know when I am in front of my desk top too hard on the phone at moment

Jeffrey Holst, Real Estate Agent in Tennessee (#343371)

@Jeffrey Holst tremendous thanks for the episode. Will take a listen this weekend. 

@Jonathan Orr I have a yellow letter similarly fashioned to the one in Brandon Turner's book Buy and Hold Rentals I include with my offers. Basically lists what I plan to do, "hey I am a local investor", and my picture. Yes, we have a targeted list. For the land, I intend to say I am building affordable to medium priced homes. After this week, my partner and I will decide on the language and will share it with you.  Just like you, after two months of consistency, we will be able to determine if strategy works. Lastly, the direct mail is one leg of the monster - the second leg is door to door. 

Thanks for the tips.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.