Open letter marketing- whats your experience?

9 Replies

I am thinking about signing up with Open Letter Marketing company to do mailers for me.  They have given me access to listsource to narrow down my mailing area based on my criteria.  I have never done a direct marketing campaign before.  I have purchased properties mainly as foreclosures in the past but that market is pretty slim right now.  For those who have used this model can you please give me some insight into some success and failures you have had with this.  I do not buy lower end properties so I am looking for opportunities in mainly B class neighborhoods.

@Brock Thomas  

My company Call Porter did a giveaway with Justin Silverio that @Anson Young won. The big thing I like with Justin is that he's a successful investor in his own right. I believe his site is thebostoninvestor. The reason we partnered with him on the giveaway was we wanted to give our clients the best chance at succeeding. The fact that his products stand out from the typical stuff most investors are sending is a huge "win" in my book. 

With most service providers I'd recommend contacting folks you've seen give them reviews. Justin is one of the good ones! 

Direct mail is literally one of the best ways to source properties in that class for buy and holds. Good luck! 

I am in month 2 of a 6 month campaign with OLM. I brought my own list of absentee high equity owners (with a few other triggers).  Landed and sold a deal through that campaign that resulted in roughly a $25k profit with 4 months still to go.

A lot of these people you are mailing to get mailed to constantly. I did ask one individual about it and he said he never calls any of them back. Obviously I asked why he chose to call me back and his response was "the envelope".  When you see their product you will see why it stands out.

On another note, I also use Ryan's service Call Porter to handle my inbound calls.  Another great service! This is the way you are supposed to do it. Let other people handle the details so you can focus on growing your business.

Brock, so I can't speak to your market but I can speak to OPLM. We have been using Justin for over 18 months now and we couldn't be happier with the service. Last year we closed out 22 deals basically working part time. This year were already on track to double it. 95% of all our deals start with OPLM. I would highly recommend. 

@Brock Thomas I'm happy to answer any questions you may have with our service.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. 

@Elliot Smith and @Matt Bowler : Have either of you used their IP Marketing? I have been doing my own mailers but after seeing Sharon Vornholt's interview with McKinley of OLM, I am ready to give them a shot. The IP Marketing idea seemed extremely powerful and I would love to try that out. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!

Mike, we do use the IP and you see a great increase in your response rate. 

Originally posted by @Mike Snyder :

@Elliot Smith and @Matt Bowler : Have either of you used their IP Marketing? I have been doing my own mailers but after seeing Sharon Vornholt's interview with McKinley of OLM, I am ready to give them a shot. The IP Marketing idea seemed extremely powerful and I would love to try that out. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Mike Snyder :

@Elliot Smith and @Matt Bowler: Have either of you used their IP Marketing? I have been doing my own mailers but after seeing Sharon Vornholt's interview with McKinley of OLM, I am ready to give them a shot. The IP Marketing idea seemed extremely powerful and I would love to try that out. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!

I have not used it on my existing campaign, but I think I'll layer that in on the next one or possibly add to the current one now that I weeded out the undeliverable addresses.

Open letters is hands down the best in the business!

Great info, thanks guys!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.