Bandit Sign War... Shots Fired!!!

Bandit Sign War... Shots Fired!!!

Rental Property Investor · Craven County, NC · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 61 votes

Today I was driving past one of my bandit sign locations. In passing, I noticed that another investor had curb stomped my sign and put three more signs of their own in its place... Not cool! How does one deal with this in a tactful manner (or perhaps untactful)?

*Disclaimer* I know there are mixed opinions about bandit signs here on BP. I always keep my signs out of neighborhoods, clean up old yard sale/election signs as I plant my signs, and plant them in a non-belligerent manner.

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · MA · Member since 2013 · 361 posts · 297 votes
8y

I hate bandit signs.  I wish heavy casualties on both sides.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    This guy is creating enemies that will want to remove his signs. If you do retaliate, don't make it obvious that it's you, or you just motivate others to take your signs down. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Provo, UT · Member since 2013 · 689 posts · 511 votes
    8y

    They're called bandit signs for a reason...  Just part of the game. Consider yourself lucky if this is the first time it's happened to you.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Padric Lynch Move your signs to another location. Confrontation with the other investor may not be the best use of your time. Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Craven County, NC · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    @John W. I wouldnt retaliate, but he/she will be receiving a phone call. 

  • Contractor · Tampa FL · Member since 2018 · 126 posts · 64 votes
    8y
    Honestly I would call them to an address that I now they will have to pass those signs. I’d be waiting for them dancing on the side of the road with my sign. This is the best kind of retaliation.
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Road side curb is often a violation, call city and ask if there is a fine. If so submit these signs to city compliance.  In my town solicitation without a permit can be fined up to $350 a violation.  I stopped a new realtor who is leaving trash in front of everyone who have a NO SOLICITATION sign. 


  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Padric Lynch If it’s municipal land, the answer is obvious, but when they go by I’m sure they’ll stumble on one of your signs too. So, ummmmm, yeah 🤷🏻‍♂️ And if yours are pulled out I’m sure there’s some fine for littering if there’s a separate fine for putting those up. One other thing to keep in mind is that there’s a good chance it’s not the person, just someone that they’re paying hourly to do it. Who knows, but the point is that now there’s two levels of communication and odds are you’ll get “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I can’t imagine a “perfect” option here. More of a “pick your poison”.
  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 23 votes
    8y
    As painful as it may be, I would let karma take care of him and just move on to another location. It’s hard to do sometimes but you want to spend your time with a positive mindset and moving forward. Not stuck in a petty battle with a loser. Believe me, I have plenty around my area.
  • Real Estate Broker · MA · Member since 2013 · 361 posts · 297 votes
    8y

    I hate bandit signs.  I wish heavy casualties on both sides.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Declaring war is bad for both parties. Although the neighborhood would look nicer with you guys tossing each others signs all the time. Call his sign, see if you guys can reach some kind of peace treaty, or at worst an armistice. 

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    his signs look way more effective than yours...just sayin...
  • Rental Property Investor · Craven County, NC · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    Just to clarify, no war has been declared. This incident will be handled on the lowest level. @Mark Fries That is beside the point, but I agree. Different budgets I guess..

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 122 posts · 103 votes
    8y

    Hello @Padric Lynch!

    This has happened to me before, don't worry! I'm sure it's pretty common. 

    You have a couple options:

    1. Call your competitor and tell him/her that you noticed what they were doing. Be sure to be calm and professional. If you call them with an aggressive or defensive tone of voice, the likelihood that the activity will continue, or even increase, is strong. Fight the urge to retaliate. Don't turn this into a war. Call your colleague (you are in the same business after all), have a civil conversation between two professionals in the same field, have a laugh, and move on. There are plenty of corners in North Carolina, I'm sure.

    2. Don't compete (with signs). STOP putting them out. It's amazing: my company has recently made the move to start eliminating sign-throwing nationwide, and we're having the same success, if not more, than before. Let's face it, bandit signs are not professional, and in most areas, they're not even legal. Have you ever called on any of your competitors' signs? The lack of competence on the other end of the phone 99% of the time is astounding, that's if you EVEN get an answer. Who takes the time to purchase & throw signs, and doesn't answer their phone by the way?

    It's not my place to tell you to throw, or not throw signs. I've actually done a lot of that in the past, and achieved much success. However, there are many other ways to find and buy homes. Whatever you do, stay professional!

    Hope this helped.

  • Realtor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 97 votes
    8y

    Someone moving your sign should be the least of your problems. I put out on average 10 signs per week in my city and they get taken down all the time, mostly from teenagers or city workers. It's just the name of the game. You can't become emotionally attached to anything in this business because that's when you lose out on opportunity and money.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Offer $100 each bounty for his signs. That will get them down quickly without getting your hands dirty!

  • Attorney · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 113 votes
    8y

    You should call code enforcement on him. Or even law enforcement. Tell them that you have expended energy and hard earned money to litter the streets with your signs. Its just not right that someone else can just tear down your litter and replace it with their litter. 

    I want to follow this thread just to see who wins the "Battle of the Serial Litterbugs." 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    Bandit signs don’t even work and they clutter up the highways and street corners . you’d have to be really really desperate to call a bandit sign to buy your house 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    Offer $100 each bounty for his signs. That will get them down quickly without getting your hands dirty!

     LOL! I bet the homeless guys that pan handle on all the corners around here would jump all over that for $5/sign

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y
    What city is this? I’ll post a Craigslist freelance ad for someone to remove both your signs and restore beauty to your community.
  • Investor · River City, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 162 posts · 193 votes
    8y

    copy down said number.......... make up approx 100 "free items for pick up" and list them on craig's list etc....  He want's people phoning him.... give him what he wants... lots and lots of phone calls.... 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Steve S.

    That's some wise advice to remember right there. Part of me feels disgusted with myself that I didn't think of that years ago. Part of me is relieved I didn't. The longer I stay in real estate, the more the nice part wear away. 

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I spoke with a guy that does really well in real estate.

    He told me that printed bandit signs are not very effective, that he hand writes everyone.

    He told me that hand written signs are 10 times more effective, so that it what I am now doing.

    And I just let karma handle the rest...

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve S.:

    copy down said number.......... make up approx 100 "free items for pick up" and list them on craig's list etc....  He want's people phoning him.... give him what he wants... lots and lots of phone calls.... 

    Notice to all: I will be doing this with all Bandit Signs seen littering my community.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Amanda Crump

    Handwritten bandit signs, for the personal bandit touch...

  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have an idea!

    See if you can get a phone number that's pretty similar, maybe a digit off.

    Then, duplicate his Bandit Sign but with your new phone number!!!!!!!!

    Find all of his signs, replace it with yours!!

    He probably won't catch on for quite a while! haha!

    So not only do you mess with his business, but you then also increase yours since I have to agree with someone else that mentioned his sign looks a little more effective than yours!

    Of course he will be VERY pissed off but that's the effect you want!

    If you are going to war, be smarter than your enemies! haha!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.