What is your "why" for real estate investing?

What is your "why" for real estate investing?

Flipper/Rehabber · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2018 · 85 posts · 65 votes

Hi all,

It can be a little frustrating to get a deal today, so much so that is can discourage newer investors such as myself to stay strong and keep pushing.

Then I remember why I am so set on pursuing real estate in the first place. So I decided to make this post to ask you all, what is your why? Why did you decide to pursue real estate investing? What do you do when you feel discouraged to relight that fire within?

Here is my why:

I was working an awesome job as a dual-status federal technician and national guard member. My job was in a mechanical field and relied heavily on manual labor and physical ability. During a prep for deployment I started to have some issues with the function of my hands and other joints, and eventually was diagnosed with autoimmune arthritis. Long story short, my job depended on my enlistment and my enlistment did not play well with my new medical condition/inability to deploy.

I started to pursue real estate as a way to ensure I would never feel like a rug had been pulled out from under me again. My mom went through a bankruptcy and short sale of our home/loss of her business when I was a kid, and I never want my family to experience something like that. Real estate gives me the feeling that I am in control of my own destiny, and I don't have to rely on others to bring food to my table.

When I feel discouraged:

I reread Rich Dad Poor Dad and read success stories here on BP.

Please share your own "why's" and what you do to stay motivated! Happy holidays and happy investing.

1Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I want to go to space

    that's going to cost a lot of money, and unfortunately I'm lazy as ****. So real estate makes me money passively, and in a few years, I can go to space.

    Life complete.

    as for encouragement, I like to spend time around people who have high expectations of me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Albany, NY · Member since 2017 · 309 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    That's an awesome idea!

    My Why:

    I want to support my family by creating multiple streams of income (passive is better obviously). As an agent and investor it is important for me to have flexible time to spend with my family and acquiring real estate is one way for me to be able to do that. Another reason is as a child, my parents came from the mind(numbing)set that you get your education, and get a good job. I always felt as if there was another way and I think this is it.

    When I get Discouraged:

    This one is tough for me because like many other I often feel this way and haven't really found a great way to get myself out of it yet so I will definitely be following to see what others say! Right now something I do is just take sometime away. Whether it is spending a weekend away or trying to clear my head by not working for a day or two, this usually gets me out of whatever funk I'm in. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.