What is your biggest roadblock right now in real estate investing

179 Replies

Sorry, I mistyped.  I meant the lady needed the money because her daughter, who had 3 small children, had been arrested.

@Justin Delahoyde I've seen some more Ohio talk than normal as well! I'm Oklahoma City all day. I was talking to an investor that has done both yesterday and said that said in Ohio, taxes crush a lot of inventory that looks like good deals. They're at 2-3% in some areas? OKC is at 1%. Have you seen this in Ohio? 

@Alyssa Dyer i have herd the same about the taxes there. even mentioned in the podcasts etc. It seems that if you are going to look there you have to take extra precaution about it and perhaps call a CPA in the state to get a better idea of what a person would be in for.

Having just begun the process of considering REI, I think my biggest obstacle is myself. I'm looking at SF + small MF properties in Central FL and I am having a difficult time finding anything that I would consider a 'deal'. Each time I view listings and get into the numbers it seems like the seller, usually another out of area investor, got in at a great price and is capitalizing on the hot market by trying to double their investment.

Btw, that is exactly as it should be and I don't think I have many misconceptions there! I'm slowly trying to change my thinking and concentrate more on cash flow than equity since the cash flow is more important currently however, it's proving difficult. Have you had that experience also and if so, how did you work through it?

Originally posted by @Justin Delahoyde :

@Alyssa Dyer i have herd the same about the taxes there. even mentioned in the podcasts etc. It seems that if you are going to look there you have to take extra precaution about it and perhaps call a CPA in the state to get a better idea of what a person would be in for.

"there" being Ohio? Yeah sounds like a plan to me! Better taking the extra step in a market with crazy taxes than being sorry! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here