Best way to find a mentor or partner?

7 Replies

@Brian Shinkle find someone who is doing something you like and figure out how to add value to them.

I like the Gary V advice Jab, jab, jab, right hook, that means add value 3X before asking for something in return.

Bryan thank you for the advice. I will take any advice I can get.

I am here to learn and if that means I'm doing the work no one else wants to do to get my foot in the door that's what I'll do. I pick up things quickly. I just want to find someone who might need an extra hand. I would just like to meet someone who knows the ropes so I can learn by doing. Not looking for a handout. 

Welcome to BP.

I started out asking two family members from my wife's family to show me the ropes. That didn't work out well. One told me nothing but horror stories and he said anyone that gets into residential real estate was crazy. The other one told me horror stories as well but shared some successes. He told me to get a property manager because I was going to be in way over my head if I thought I could just go out and start investing on my own with no experience.

I listened but didn't take their advice. I read as much as I could find and listened to lots of podcasts. I had money saved and got pre-approved for a loan. I knew about what size and price house I wanted to start with and had already done lots of market research in the area so I knew what houses were renting for. We made offers on about 6 houses before finally getting accepted for one. We went thru the inspection report and did a walk thru to determine what needed to be fixed and updated. I spent a few weeks doing the work, learned a few lessons, gained some knowledge, and found some good tenants. No horror stories yet. I guess a mentor could be helpful at times but not something that's necessary in my opinion. If you have questions, post them here and you'll get plenty of help.

@Brian Shinkle Find the real estate meetups in your area and go to as many as you can.  I've seen several newbie investors fast track their progress (both educational and finding great off-market deals) by connections made at local meetups. 

I just checked the events page here and see one scheduled in Reno for July 17.

@Ryan Murdock Great info! I have been to a feel meetups already and have one next week in Reno. I think i will be a little more vocal on why I am at the meetups. At the last meetup it didnt seam that people where there looking for partners, not sure though.  I am hoping to find someone on BP that is looking to partner up in the Reno area. 

@Alan Pederson  Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure I can go out and do it all on my own. I have done a lot of market research, read books and watched countless videos and my favorite is listening to podcasts. I would really like a partner that knows the market in Reno.

thank you, I will keep posting my questions.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you