Purchasing homes w/ LLC

4 Replies

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry ahead of time if this question has been answered already, I looked and didn't quite get the answer I am looking for.

If I am purchasing MFR using a LLC, how would that work ? It would be a new LLC with no established credit or income, so how would a bank be willing to finance that ?

Thanks, 

Isiah:

This is a pet peeve of mine but BP calls anything more than 1 family a "multi-family".  That is a very poor way to divide the market.   

Is this 2-4 units or 5+ units?  It makes a big difference.  Anything 2-4 units, from a financing perspective is considered single family and comps are used to assess value.   

If 2-4 units, and you are using Fannie Mae, you cannot purchase it in an LLC. If you are using a bank and willing to accept higher interest rates and a short-term balloon, you can buy it in the name of your LLC but you personally will be on the hook.

If this is a true apartment, which is 5+ units, you can buy it through your LLC. Whether or not that has personal recourse is complicated so talk to your financing company.

Sorry I was not aware of this but I was referring to 2-4 units mostly. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I go to finance as an LLC I'm assuming they will use my personal credit score & income due to being a brand new LLC ?

Try a smaller bank that has a commercial lending unit. When I last did this they looked at the personal finances and tax returns for LLC members owning more than 20%. They required a personal guarantee also because the LLC was less than 2 years old and didn't have sufficient income yet.

Since you're nearby, contact me if you'd like specifics.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you