Knowledgeable agent or Responsive agent?

7 Replies

I recently started looking at REI in a new area that I haven't invested in before. It's a fairly remote area - there aren't many real estate agents & the ones I've talked to are fairly low quality (uninformed about REI & generally unhelpful)

I’ve finally found 2 potentially good agents though & I’m trying to narrow down which one I should work with (it’s a pretty small area so definitely can’t work with 2 agents, not that I would anyway).

One agent is super knowledgeable about the area & he speaks freely & he's happy to share his local knowledge - I've learned a TON from him just in speaking on the phone for 20 mins. But he's not that responsive - it gets annoying when I can't get a hold of him.

The other agent is extremely responsive at all hours of the day, but he’s suuuper ethical to the point that he won’t answer my questions such as “what do you think of this neighborhood vs that neighborhood?” Which gets annoying bc the other agent definitely dishes the dirt on parts of town, which is quite helpful.

Which one do I go with?! Both agents are very experienced with 20+ years experience btw. I'm learning a TON from the knowledgable agent who "speaks freely" but man I'm gonna get annoyed if I need to see a place or put in an offer & I can't get in touch with him! Do I choose the highly-knowledgable lesser-responsive agent or the super-responsive agent who doesn't share any local knowledge with me?

I know more about real estate than my realtor, but...

He's always available to get me mls detail info or meet me at a house to get me in. He'll present any offer I'm willing to make within an hour or two of my first identification. And he's super personable, puts other realtors at ease, and often gets the inside scoop.

Plus, like most people, I like working with people I like. 

Exactly how non responsive? Weeks without replying or hes getting back to you the next day?

@Mark Miles Does the agent with the experience know you are serious about buying? Have you told or showed him that you are pre qualified and are ready to buy? He may have just thought you were in the exploratory phase of your search and thus not prioritizing getting back to you promptly. If he knows you are ready, willing, and able to buy that may change his response times. 

There are a lot of people I have intro phone calls with that I never hear from again because they weren't really sure they wanted to invest in the first place and they just wanted general info about the local market, etc.

Tough choice but I choose responsive. I want my agent to contact me asap and get the necessary info I need. Whats having all the knowledge and experience if I can never get a hold of the person. We are also in a seller's market where you agent needs to be on top of things. 

@Mark Miles I would go with the responsive realtor. You need someone who can get you into properties and write offers quickly. My last deal, I was looking at the property within an hour of calling my agent and we sent over an offer that night at 10PM, which was accepted by 7AM the next morning. So if your realtor didn't even return your call until the next day, the deal could be gone. 

I don't see being ethical as a bad thing. It sounds like your question is too general. Sometimes people who "speak freely" are actually sharing their bias or prejudices. 

If you want to learn about a neighborhood, I would check crime maps and sex offender registries. Drive the neighborhood and look at how people upkeep the properties.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you