What Are Your Financial Interests Outside Real Estate?

46 Replies

@Dave Meyer

I'd love if the ecosystem included more entrepreneurs OTHER than within real estate specifically.  With, of course the quality to match - people that have 'been there done that' on getting other businesses going.

I'd be careful about diluting BP's core mission, which feels like it's already started happening. Be the best at what you're known for!

Originally posted by @James Free :

I'd be careful about diluting BP's core mission, which feels like it's already started happening. Be the best at what you're known for!

This. Long time lurker, and there is definitely a downward trend that needs to be arrested and corrected. If the new team/owners continues to push membership monetization and diversification, BP will fall.

James,- I agree, focus and persistence brings the results. Eventually though, you will want diversification into other investment types that can brings you stability. Consider what percentages of your NW you may want in RE, securities and cash. Maybe even some gold or silver to put away. Having markers out in different areas has worked well for me over the up and down times. 

MY best to your quest!

@Dave Meyer Great survey! I do enjoy the personal finance podcast in addition to the BP podcast. It’s a good start to diversifying the BP platform. Educating others will never steer you in the wrong direction. Keep up the good work! I just recently went into contract to purchase a franchise and am towards the tail end of the deal/closing. It’s almost exactly like purchasing a home...and without the BP education and prior real estate transaction / investment experience, this would have been a daunting and overwhelming task. But now it’s just like everything else and building on my avenues of cash flow / financial portfolio.

@Dave Meyer

Don't mess bp up...

That said, maybe something on reits..

Syndications for qualified/ unqualified investors.

And more specific tips on tax/ business strategies.

I love that BiggerPockets is about helping and sharing information for real estate investors big and small. I'm a mid size investor. I have a few hundred doors and will eventually be a big fish. The key is good deals and time. We live in an age where people forget that this is a long road. I invest for buy and hold. Super conservative Investment strategy and it takes time and compounding the gains over years. I like that it brings in passive income.

Bigger pockets launched the business pod cast and for the businesses I own it’s nice to listen to that but the quality of pod cast isn’t there yet. Improve on that and get its quality to where to the flagship pod cast is before getting into the next thing. Quality over quantity. 

After you solidify the business side then go into either information on metals or the bond market. Those are two places where people are under educated when it comes to investment understanding 

Tickers for REIT''s, RE index funds, and MBS's would be neat to see. Would help consolidate investing info

I agree with @James Free . BP is already so vast that it's almost overwhelming when you first start using it. REI is already a diverse field. I'd rather see BP create or connect with other platforms that can act as "sister sites." Then, if members want more content on, say, stock investing, you can direct them there. I'd really hate to see BP try to juggle too many balls and drop them all.

@Dave Meyer

It'd be best to stick to the real estate industry. You could add another branch from BP but be named something else and have a different mission. Just a thought.

I agree with James Free. I have only been here a little while, but it seems like the mission of this site is to make money for the site. I have had my posts removed multiple times for answering direct questions to me. How are we going to help people if information is not free. After all, how many old information watered down books can a site sell?

ugh, i stopped the survey at question #2.  Although I am interested in many other topics, I DONT want to see them on BP. I come here to interact with other investors/landlords. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you