• Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
The One Thing: Biggest Takeaways

Julian Gonda
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Posted Feb 22 2020, 19:36

I'm halfway through Gary Keller's The One Thing, and I'm fascinated by the different thoughts/ideas Keller shares, including those from the several minds other than his own--from Henry David Thoreau to Jerry Seinfeld. Since reading, I've definitely noticed a shift in habitual behavior that heavily complement's momentum.

For those of you reading or already have read this book, what was your biggest takeaway? And if you care to share, how have the thoughts/ideas in this book helped you and/or your business succeed? Answer any way you'd like--I'm genuinely curious to hear everyone's responses. I've heard this book recommended plenty of times by those in real estate and I could absolutely see why.

User Stats

Votes
Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Feb 23 2020, 06:37

Hi @Julian Gonda!  I really enjoyed that book too.  My biggest take away was the idea of carving out time every day for working on your "One Thing" and guarding that time as a top priority.  Keeping the word guarding in mind really helps me, since, as I'm sure is true for most people, distractions seem to be one of my greatest challenges on the path towards achieving my goals.  Blocking out time on my calendar for my most important tasks has helped me to ensure those things get done, and then in the time remaining I end up doing other less important things more efficiently since there's less time to waste.  I definitely appreciate this side effect as well!

Glad you're enjoying the book and thanks for posting this!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Feb 23 2020, 07:22

The headline - in a world of competing priorities, we need to stay focused on what really matters, many of which are the hardest items on our to do lists.

Irony - I need to get off BP and generate leads. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sean McDonnell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surf City, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surf City, NC
Replied Feb 23 2020, 12:08

After reading that book, large goals that before seemed unrealistic, became much more attainable in my mind.  Their advice to figure out the small steps necessary to accomplish large goals and narrow down what specific small step you can accomplish each day was pivotal in my mindset shift. Consistent, unrelenting action is the key. 

User Stats

Votes
Julian Gonda
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Feb 24 2020, 14:08

Hey @Annchen Knodt, funny you talk about time blocking--recently read that segment and happens to be one of my favorite concepts. Setting aside specific hours in the am for top priority tasks has been rewarding. Also preparing to allocate this time in the beginning of the week truly sets the tone :)

User Stats

Votes
Julian Gonda
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Feb 24 2020, 14:08

Love it @Mike Dymski... right behind you!!

User Stats

Votes
Julian Gonda
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Feb 24 2020, 14:17

@Sean McDonnell Absolutely relatable. Working backwards from the big goal and physically writing down the smaller steps relieved the fear of the big goal.I personally have quite a ways to go with mine, but the little wins are boosting the confidence and fueling the momentum quite a bit!

User Stats

Votes
Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Feb 25 2020, 06:54
Originally posted by @Julian Gonda:

Hey @Annchen Knodt, funny you talk about time blocking--recently read that segment and happens to be one of my favorite concepts. Setting aside specific hours in the am for top priority tasks has been rewarding. Also preparing to allocate this time in the beginning of the week truly sets the tone :)

Exactly!!