Long distance investing

5 Replies

@Sean McDonnell I have read all of David Greene’s books and I am in the process of buying a duplex in New Orleans . I just want to be able to vet my core four the right way. Everyone says they are the best but saying it and living it are two different things . Thanks for your insight

Good news is that lenders can lend long distance. But the best deals come from locals. I’m looking into LD as well but from my experience, a good agent has a team including lenders and often PMs as well. I’d recommend finding an agent on here and going from there. Contractors you’re always going to want to vet in person. 

Why New Orleans? I live here and could def hook you up with an agent.

Hi Gerald. Curious why you chose New Orleans for your long distance investing. I live in NOLA and own properties but recently I've been finding my best deals (I hope) out of state. Though I do see huge benefits to owning a single duplex here.

Let me know if you have any questions about local stuff here. 

The obvious pros is being able to pick the best market instead of defaulting to your market. Cons are it is harder to find, buy and manage. But it does force you to delegate which is good. I bought houses in different states in Australia. The market is a little different so doesn't translate exactly but worth checking out the article I wrote for Home Improvement pages about it https://hipages.com.au/article...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you