User Stats

Votes
Joshua Flowers
Votes |
First Overseas Investment

Joshua Flowers
Posted Jan 16 2021, 10:07

Hi BP community,

First post here. Struggling to find many posts on overseas investing. I am from Colorado, living in Berlin, Germany. Recently had an offer accepted for my first real estate purchase. The property is in Tavira, Portugal. The plan is to diversify from there into a few other international markets: Belize and Panama are current considerations.

Interested in setting up systems to be able to manage short-term rentals remotely. Part of the motivation is to secure residency in multiple countries, have my investments in multiple currencies, and to set up an offshore structure for my company in one of these locations. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Goldsmith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 16 2021, 13:30

There is an international real estate forum where there might be more people that are knowledgeable about your situation/strategy.  Are you looking to do the golden visa program and what's the strategy for the South American properties, that is where I am looking mostly right now. @Joshua Flowers

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Flowers
Votes |
Replied Jan 17 2021, 02:44

Brandon goldsmith

Curious, what international forum are you referring to?

I'm not going the Golden Visa route. In Panama looking into Friendly Nations list. For REI strategy: single-family buy and hold, remotely managed short-term rental. Really new to all of this, so we'll see how this year goes as (hopefully) travel restrictions are reduced. Not interested in buying sight unseen.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Goldsmith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 17 2021, 06:53

You posted this thread in the General Real Estate Investing forum and there Is one that is called International Real Estate also on BP which was more people in it that could answer based on their experiences with overseas investments. @Joshua Flowers

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Replied Jan 17 2021, 06:58

@Joshua Flowers

Brandon is referring to the International Real Estate Forum within Bigger Pockets, in which you've already posted I guess unknowingly :-). If you look just below the menu, you'll see that this thread is within the General Real Estate Investing forum. All the threads belong to a forum.

I'm with you about buying sight unseen. Why buy an existing property without visiting? If it's sold when you can travel, there'll be another one. Very few opportunities are so much better than the rest that you need to rush into buying.

Mind you most of my purchases to date have been sight unseen but that's because they're pre-construction. They're most of the time the best deals and there's no other way to buy than sight unseen.