Votes
Josh Fleenor
  • Quincy, IL
Votes |
Can I invest legal problems

Josh Fleenor
  • Quincy, IL
Posted Jan 19 2021, 00:02

Hello! I made a mistake a couple years ago and am now a registered sex offender. Could I still own rental properties in Illinois? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 19 2021, 01:22

hmmmmm well the only thing I can find really find on this is Illinois general assembly C-6 which states, "It is unlawful for a sex offender who owns and resides at residential real estate to knowingly rent any residential unit within the same building in which he or she resides to a person who is the parent or guardian of a child or children under 18 years of age" So I think you might have trouble house hacking or owning a building and living in one of the units.

I STRONGLY advise you to talk to a lawyer or sheriff or maybe someone down at town hall because some cities and towns have strict requirements that go even further than the state law. Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Fleenor
  • Quincy, IL
Votes |
  • Quincy, IL
Replied Jan 19 2021, 04:17

@Hans Suljic dang. I’ll have to try doing research on it. I have a house we just got for fairly cheap so wouldn’t house hack at the moment, but thanks for the advice!!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.