Should I sell my home with a real estate attorney or agent

6 Replies

I will be selling my single family home for a profit. I was told by a local investor that I should list the home with a real estate attorney instead of a traditional agent as I will save money on the transaction. Does anyone have any more information on how this works? Is it’s worth doing ?

Not sure which attorney's in AZ can sell homes as you need a license to sell real estate for others in Arizona. Maybe that investor meant sell the property yourself and use an attorney for closing, but that isn't necessary here. Several states have laws on the books mandating the presence of an attorney or other types of involvement at real estate closings, but you can use a title company to close your transaction.

I'd suggest you use an agent who knows the area well and has a good marketing plan for you property. Professional pictures, thorough listing description, priced properly, etc.

@Bob Okenwa thank you for replying to my thread as this is my first time selling a home I do believe it would be best to go through a real estate agent.

I see what you mean when you say using an attorney And going to the title company myself that would save me any realtor costs

@Ezekiel Oropeza I'd use a real estate agent. My agent is knowledgeable, thorough, and instrumental in all the transactions I do. He knows more than I ever could and has access to tons of buyers as well as the MLS and other marketing tools that I don't. Definitely worth the commission.

If you already had a buyer lined up, I would agree that using an attorney for the transaction would be best. But if you're looking to sell it for top dollar, I would definitely use a realtor. I'm not just saying that because I'm a realtor... but because I did try the sell it yourself before.  You'll get tons of calls from other realtors, and tons of calls from weirdos asking if you would rent your house. 

Interview at least 3 realtors from 2 different local agencies. And pick who you like best, so has a good action plan, and who cares about you (by answering your calls and reachable). This should ease your mind.

Use a good agent, don't try to cut corners to save a few bucks. A good agent will help your deal flow better and help you hit a higher price point. There are lazy agents too that will just throw it up on the MLS and hope for a bite.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you