W2 vs Full Time RE investor

Haider Abdullah
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Irvine, CA
Posted Jul 26 2021, 00:09

BP Community!

Hope you’re all killing it!

Quick synopsis on where we are at:

Started flipping 18 months ago with $200k in “friend” capital. Word got out, and now we are at about $3M raised (passively) and 17 flips, 2 Airbnb’s, 1 quad, and 2 buy/holds. Confidently, I can be at $5M by end of 2021 and on target to acquire 1-2 more Airbnb’s, 8-10 more flips, and potentially 10-15 unit apartment building (all in next 6 months)

W2, as we all know, has huge perks. I’m also benefitting from a decently high salary and moderately flexible work arrangement. BUT: I’m not my own boss, still have reporting requirements and because I’m in sales, have a target on my back daily. More over, I’m taking time away from the RE business.

I have 3 young kids so predictability of pay is important. But at what future cost? Daily, I’m contemplating my exit. However, with most betting that a correction/slowdown is coming in the RE market, is it smart to walk away now or ride it out until we see the dip, double down when/if there’s a fire sale, then bid farewell to the pay cheque?

I’m committing 30-35 hours/week to W2 (including commuting time (LA traffic is BACK) and probably 20 hours/week on RE. Add in kiddos and a wife, and I’m at 3-4 hours sleep/night MAX! Imagine I put 40 hours/week into RE?

I think it’s a question of: when is the right time and how do I know it’s right for me/us?

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts - appreciate you all in advance!!

Loading replies...