How soon can I use money from refi cash-out for a down payment?

How soon can I use money from refi cash-out for a down payment?

Member since 2021 · 117 posts · 36 votes

Hello everyone. 

A few months ago I bought a house cash. I was able to rent it out and just finished cashout refinance with an LTV of 75%. Can I use that money for a down payment for another house right away?

Will the new lender let me do that? Would they object to me using borrowed money for a down payment on the house I plan to get? Or do I have to wait for two months so that my last two bank statements do not show the deposit of the money I just borrow (from the cashout refinance)?

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2021 · 568 posts · 127 votes
4y

If you have that money in your account most lenders should be fine with that.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 198 votes
    4y

    Dan, it depends on the lender.    In order to have confidence they can sell the loan, some brokers have a very strict underwriting policy that is a paint by numbers program and one of the boxes might be two months of cash in a bank account, whereas the reality is that they are using the two months as a proxy to provide some sort of comfort around the money is actually your money vs. another loan.   

    When you have a cash-out refi, you can show the chain of events and where the cash came from and many will be able to work with that. Talk to your lender. Additionally, there are some lenders that advertise that they work with the BRRR strategy, so this wouldn't be a surprise or new for them.

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2021 · 568 posts · 127 votes
    4y

    If you have that money in your account most lenders should be fine with that.

  • Lender · Vienna, VA · Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    4y

    Dan,

    If you've already refinanced your property and have the cash-in-hand, no one can really tell you what to do with it.  The only way you might be affected is if your current lender has language in their loan agreement that has specific liquidity, debt, or other covenants.

    Do you have a conventional loan, commercial real estate investment loan, or some other type of loan?

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dan Marl:

    Hello everyone. 

    A few months ago I bought a house cash. I was able to rent it out and just finished cashout refinance with an LTV of 75%. Can I use that money for a down payment for another house right away?

    Will the new lender let me do that? Would they object to me using borrowed money for a down payment on the house I plan to get? Or do I have to wait for two months so that my last two bank statements do not show the deposit of the money I just borrow (from the cashout refinance)?

    Thank you in advance!


     Immediately. You will have to source the funds for the lender if there is a big incoming wire in the statements they review, but it's a pretty straightforward process of showing them the statement from the title company.

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    4y

    @Dan Marl

    You could literally walk into the next room after closing on the refi and put it down on another place. There is no seasoning when you have a settlement statement or HUD to source the funds (if they'd even ask).

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Stephanie MedellinBusiness Member
    Mortgage Broker · CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 642 votes
    4y

    You can use it right away.  It's perfectly fine to use funds borrowed against another property as a down payment.  Now if you just cashed out from your primary residence and want to buy a new primary residence, that will be a problem, but it sounds like this is a rental.  

    Stephanie Medellin, Loan Factory58 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.