• Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
Credit Report Rules

Blake C.
  • Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Posted Mar 10 2014, 08:58

I recently got a mortgage on my 2nd investment property (within the last 15 days). I asked the loan officer to send a copy of my credit report just for curiosity. The bank rep said that they are not allowed to give it to me. Not only would this ordinarily irritate me, but I had a terrible financing experience during the process. They did close the loan at a decent rate, but only after lots of misinformation, delays, broken promises, and unreturned phone calls.

In the past, lenders have provided my credit report to me. Is it now the new normal not to?

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 10 2014, 09:04

The lenders have an agreement with the credit bureaus not to provide a copy to clients. You can order one for free.

Joe Gore

User Stats

Votes
Blake C.
  • Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied Mar 10 2014, 09:08

Is this a new rule? I didn't ask last year when I got my last mortgage, But in 2010 and 2008, a different lender gave it to me. Its not a big deal, this is just one more strike in the lack of customer service form this institution. Its a local one too. I would expect more. I understand there is rules, but this makes little sense. I paid for the report, why I wouldn't be able to see it makes little since to me.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Yankovoy
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 10 2014, 09:25

That seems a little strange. I used to work in mortgage lending and anytime a client requests a copy of their credit report in writing we had to supply it.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Mar 10 2014, 09:38

From the inception of credit reports those having access to reports are members of that reporting agency. Reports are sold to those who are included in reports, the public whose credit is reported. For that reason members are not allowed to give any report out, if a loan officer did that was a violation.

Creditors may show a report and discuss any item reported, many feel they can't show it, but that isn't the restriction, it's giving them that report. They agency has the right to and does charge a fee for a hard copy.

This can be governed by state law as to delivering a copy by a creditor.

However, if there are disputes or you have been denied credit you are entitled to a free copy of your credit report. You'll find the details in the Fair Credit Reporting Act. :)