Michigan land contract-Help needed understanding Foreclosure process

5 Replies

I have read about the process online but would like to discuss it with somebody who's in the game up there. I bought a land contract and clearly the occupant has no intention of making any further payments so I need to figure out the most expeditious and cheap way to get rid of her.

You may need a property manager or someone to execute an eviction for you. You also can offer her some money to vacate the property within a certain amount of time. Where is the property located?

Mike, 

Sorry to hear that your in that situation but she has to go. No cents in suing, hopefully you got a good percent of $ at closing of the land contract with her. Did you take over a land contract and the person who you rented it too will not leave after an eviction notice?

I had a renter who stoped paying for two months and one day he got up and left with out paying but man I'm just glad he got the hell out. That's when I put that house up for land contract so I could get a nice chunk of money and it protected me from more bad renters.

Best of luck,

Jason

No, it's a contract for deed that she's stopped paying on so I need to understand the foreclosure process.

Mike:  In Michigan, the foreclosure process on a land contract sale is technically called forfeiture.  It is essentially the same procedure as a foreclosure.  You have to publish notices in the newspaper, have a court proceeding and I believe  the land contract vendee (buyer) has redemption rights,  all very costly procedures to be sure.  A better solution is to offer the  vendee a cash incentive to sign a quit-claim deed and vacate  the house.  This is a legal and more efficient of getting the house back.  You can also condition the offer on them leaving the house in "broom clean" condition whereby they remove all personal property & debris.  Hope this helps.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it worth pointing out that land contracts are still an excellent time to screen people as well as you would a rental tenant.  My dad has sold homes on land contracts in MN for the last 15 years, and out of maybe 10 properties he's gotten back 9 of them at least once, and some multiple times.  He's also a lawyer, so it doesn't cost him AS much, but typically the people leave the property in terrible condition and inflict more damage than their original down payment could cover.  The fact that it takes so long to evict someone is actually a great attractor to scammers -- people who get in with a down payment, then never pay another cent.  And you either have the option to pay them to get out (incentive for them to do this whole process again on another unsuspecting seller) or lose 3-12 months of your time and cash flow.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here