Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sheri H.
  • Mansfield, TX
Votes |
Need Hard Money Loan Fort Worth Explained

Sheri H.
  • Mansfield, TX
Posted Feb 2 2015, 19:52

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking to begin our first flip experience. Please let us tell you guys our situation and then any advice on how to proceed is greatly welcomed.

Our situation is as follows:

Looking to buy Single fam,  2bth 2 bed in the Mansfield TX Arlington area. We work self employed with sporadic income so conventional banks are a no no. A hard money lender is our most viable option. 

• We have 10 - 13K in savings to put towards the project. 
  • Credit score of around 685 - 700
  • Reno ourselves, somewhat experienced

we really want to buy something in good condition so that only cosmetic changes are needed, for which we'll do ourselves e.g; painting, carpet, floors, tiling, kitchen, yard. No electrical or major foundation/roofing exp or know how. 

Hope to be in and out in 5-6 weeks max.

So here's a scenario of what we kind of hope to expect:  

HML may offer us 70%ARV, 12%, 4pts

So with the above terms in play we have a question: 

If a property that has a $100,000 ARV and the HML offers us a loan of 70% of ARV =($70k) 

..If we buy the 100K ARV property for less than the 70%, say around $60K, can we put the extra $10k that was available from the HML towards the reno? Thereby using our reserve of personal money for the unexpected, on closing and added cash for the holding costs/reno if necessary.

Basically, do HML's give a set amount of funds of entire ARV estimates regardless. Meaning we can use a portion of their money to renovate because we get the property for less than 70%

Thanks.

Loading replies...