Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andre Rosemberg
  • Culver City, CA
Votes |
My lender is the worst and now I may lose out on the perfect house

Andre Rosemberg
  • Culver City, CA
Posted May 29 2015, 16:14

Sorry for the long story below.  I need to know if I have any options here other than to risk losing my 3% earnest money deposit and the most amazing house for my family.

My wife and I made an offer on a bigger house and we were very fortunate that the buyer picked us.  The market is very competitive and we feel fortunate to be in escrow.  It is very much a seller's market right now in the area we are looking for.  Plus,  we love the house and it is perfect for our growing family.  My wife is pregnant with our third child.

I have never had a problem with any of my 5 previous loans for purchase, refinance, and a HELOC. With this company, Sebonic Financial / Cardinal Financial they are asking for way more documentation than I have ever had to provide. This is unusual for us but we've still been able to provide everything within 24-48 hours. We provided everything about 5 weeks ago and have followed up despite not getting much communication. We've periodically checked in to see if we were good and each time we were told, "yes".

There is nothing unusual about us or our loan.  We're putting 20% down and the purchase price is $603,000.  We have good credit in the 780s, low debt, good income and decent savings.  We even managed to rent out our existing house before we move out, and that was hard to accomplish!  

We had a 45 day escrow which should be a comfortable pace for everyone involved. Our escrow is scheduled to close on June 2nd.   It appears that just now, they are starting to look at our documents.  

This morning I receive an email that underwriting looked at our 2014 tax returns and that the IRS shows they are not filed.  This is wrong!  We absolutely did file and pay on time. They have our tax returns, they have our checking account statement that shows the money coming out to pay the IRS but "their computer" shows it isn't filed.  I quickly search my inbox but it looks like I deleted the "e-file" receipt from TurboTax.  So instead I take a screen shot to show it was accepted.   Their solution is to call an 800 number (not a solution since their number wasn't working), go online (not a solution since their online site is down for maintenance), or go to a local office.  It's 9am and I have to catch a plane to Las Vegas at 12 but instead I'm battling surface streets to get to downtown LA this morning to the IRS office.  I'm then lucky enough to arrive in a room full of over three hundred people waiting in line and I'm the 2nd to last person before they stopped giving numbers and told people to try again Monday.  While I get my number they are able to confirm they received my 2014 returns but that all I can get is a transcript copy and for that I have to wait in line.  I'm told I am going to wait in line and they likely won't call me today (I only counted 4 people working behind the counter) but that if I wait all day I could get a priority number for Monday so that I could wait more on Monday and likely be seen then.  This is all to get a transcript of a tax return which was filed and paid on time and there is absolutely no logical reason for me to have to go looking for this on a Friday the weekend before I'm supposed to close.  Oh, and I missed my plane to Vegas and had to book another one for tonight.  Finally after 4 hours at the IRS office and my wife and I exchanging emails and calls with them, they say underwriting  will accept my screenshot and that they didn't realize the screenshot of TurboTax said "accepted".  I admit I cried on the way out of that miserable, hot IRS room.

We are promised that there will be nothing more that they will need from us.. oh but about 20 minutes after I return home my wife calls me and tells me now they want a settlement statement on a parcel of land I own free and clear.  And fortunately since I'm not in Las Vegas and I'm sitting at home stuffing my face since I skipped breakfast to run downtown this morning, well I've got nothing better to do than to dig through my file cabinets.  Again another ridiculous, odd request that I quickly am able to fulfill and send back to them.  It's past 5pm on the east coast and these guys aren't even going to look at this stuff until Monday.

I looked online and these guys have good reviews on the sites where they advertise, but honestly my experience is a lot more like the reviews on this pissedconsumer website below

http://sebonic-financial.pissedconsumer.com/

If I had to scramble and get a hard money loan instead to close this deal, how do I start and how long does it take?  What are my options now if on Monday they surprise me again with something else their "underwriting" needs to see.

- really scared

Loading replies...