Any luck securing financing with high student loan debt to income ratio?

Any luck securing financing with high student loan debt to income ratio?

Investor · Blackwell, OK · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 17 votes
Seeing that most college graduates leave school with a mountain of debt versus their income from their employment I was wondering if anybody has had any luck securing traditional financing with a high student debt to income ratio? I have this situation and fortunately have creative financing options for my properties but wanted to know if anybody been able to purchase going to the bank
0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 351 posts · 220 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Nathan Duncan:
Seeing that most college graduates leave school with a mountain of debt versus their income from their employment I was wondering if anybody has had any luck securing traditional financing with a high student debt to income ratio? I have this situation and fortunately have creative financing options for my properties but wanted to know if anybody been able to purchase going to the bank

When I was an real estate agent "2 yrs ago" I sold many homes to clients with student loans. You can defer the loans for 12 months, this will remove them from your DTI calculation. This is on FHA loans, you would have to get your own lender to answer about any conventional approval.

I don't know if this deferral will work but make sure you arrange it through your loan officer if it can be. The deferral is typically for 12 months and I believe this 12 month payment relief loop hole allows you not count the payment on your DTI. I had anxious clients that on there own got the deferral and then by the time we were ready to get the loan the deferral was only for the remaining 10 months so the debt had to be counted on there DTI.

Remember he who has the gold makes the rules, so consult them and close on your deal.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Kannapolis, NC · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    I have found that my educational debts tend to tie my hands with many of the lenders because they elevate my debt to income ratios.  This includes while I am in school for my Masters Degree and not having to pay the loans back yet.

    Please share anything you learn regarding this topic

    Good Luck

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 351 posts · 220 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Duncan:
    Seeing that most college graduates leave school with a mountain of debt versus their income from their employment I was wondering if anybody has had any luck securing traditional financing with a high student debt to income ratio? I have this situation and fortunately have creative financing options for my properties but wanted to know if anybody been able to purchase going to the bank

    When I was an real estate agent "2 yrs ago" I sold many homes to clients with student loans. You can defer the loans for 12 months, this will remove them from your DTI calculation. This is on FHA loans, you would have to get your own lender to answer about any conventional approval.

    I don't know if this deferral will work but make sure you arrange it through your loan officer if it can be. The deferral is typically for 12 months and I believe this 12 month payment relief loop hole allows you not count the payment on your DTI. I had anxious clients that on there own got the deferral and then by the time we were ready to get the loan the deferral was only for the remaining 10 months so the debt had to be counted on there DTI.

    Remember he who has the gold makes the rules, so consult them and close on your deal.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    Some local banks and credit unions offer great refinance deals for student debt, while not great its a great opportunity go meet local lenders and at least start building a relationship.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.