In a deal but running low on maintaining carrying cost...

In a deal but running low on maintaining carrying cost...

Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes

I am into a deal for $25K but permitting process killed my carrying cost budget.  The project is only 25% completed and I am running out of funds.  It is a hard money loan.  Any thoughts?

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

Borrowers are sometime afraid to call their lender with bad news, @Adrian Smalls. Don't wait until it's too late. Let them know now that there are, or might be, some issues. If you have a handle on the problem, your lender might:

  • Loan you more money to finish.
  • Defer your payments until the end of the loan. Perhaps compounding the interest in return, if legal in your state.
  • Modify the interest rate/payments in exchange for an equity participation.
  • Extend the loan maturity date to give you more time, though it sounds like that's not the total problem.

Be up-front and honest. Present a plan that shows how you will get back on track. Lenders do not want to foreclose and they do not want the property.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I would try friends, family, or other local investors. If you have other assets, you may be able to liquidate some of them to meet your obligations. Depending on your credit & equity you may be able to refinance. Maybe you can work out short term financing with suppliers? If those aren't good options you may need to try to speed up your time line, & contact your lender. Good luck.

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Talk to your lender first and let them know the situation.  See if they will work with you to extend the terms.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Borrowers are sometime afraid to call their lender with bad news, @Adrian Smalls. Don't wait until it's too late. Let them know now that there are, or might be, some issues. If you have a handle on the problem, your lender might:

    • Loan you more money to finish.
    • Defer your payments until the end of the loan. Perhaps compounding the interest in return, if legal in your state.
    • Modify the interest rate/payments in exchange for an equity participation.
    • Extend the loan maturity date to give you more time, though it sounds like that's not the total problem.

    Be up-front and honest. Present a plan that shows how you will get back on track. Lenders do not want to foreclose and they do not want the property.

  • Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone!  I will keep you posted..

  • Hard money Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Get another Hard money lender to refinance the loan.

    SB

  • Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Definitely talk to your lender first and see if you can renegotiate the terms. If you have a 401k you may be able to borrow money from it.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.