• Investor
  • Westbrook, CT
Votes |
Refinancing a property bought all cash in Springfield MA

James Denon
  • Investor
  • Westbrook, CT
Posted May 6 2017, 12:09

I am buying an old home in Springfield MA. It is a 3 family built in early 1900s. It is fully occupied with good cash flow.

Here are the attiributes:

-No certificate of occupancy

-No lead certs

-There is an open permit for the roof but the roof looks fine.

-There i some knob and tube wiring in the basement.

I am buying it for all cash. There was a competing offer with an FHA down 3.5% loan $30K more than mine. The seller wanted to close quick and not deal with FHA appraiser nitpicking on chipping paint at the outdoor stairs and couple of knob and tube wires in the basement.

After a few minor cosmetic updates, I think it is worth $35K more than what I paid for it. Does anyone know a local lender or credit union in Massachusetts who will give the loan based on the appraised value? I would like to be at 80% LTV ideally without waiting for the seasoning period. I believe Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac backed loans do require the seasoning period.

Any reason, I would struggle to get a conventional loan with the above conditions like lack of certificate of occupancy OR cert for lead OR open permit? Any other reason?

Also, I would like to buy the property under an LLC. When I try to cash out refinance, will I have to put into my name and after I refi put it back into te LLC?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Loading replies...