• Rental Property Investor
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
Huntington Bank Bait & Switch on Loan

Matthew John
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Posted Aug 6 2018, 18:51
I am in the process of closing on an owner occupied Duplex. I shopped around 3 different lenders and here were their offers...(ALL CONVENTIONAL LOANS) Summit Funding - 5% down, 5.75% interest rate, I pay closing costs Bank of England - 15% down, 5.45% interest rate, I pay closing costs Huntington Bank - 3% down, 4.75% interest rate, they pay closing cost since we qualify for Home Ready Buyer program (had to take a course) Based on these terms, it's a NO BRAINER who to pick, right? We decided to go with Huntington even though both of the other lenders said they will "tell you whatever you want to get you in the door, then switch it up last minute". We just had our Appraisal go through with Huntington today & got an email saying "I just got word that 15% down payment will be needed for this property" I specifically asked Huntington if this 3% down conventional loan was going to be ok because other lenders said it was impossible through the Home Ready program. She assured me this was & they get the best rates since they're a large bank. The Bank of England sent me this link saying it was impossible to do a 3% down loan on a Duplex - https://www.fanniemae.com/content/fact_sheet/homeready-product-matrix.pdf My question is, what are my options? Are there any other programs or options on getting an owner occupied Duplex for 3% or even 5% down (while avoiding closing costs)? Is this "bait and switch" type situation common with big banks?

Loading replies...