Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reedsburg, WI
Votes |
What Loans Count Towards 'The Ten Loan Limit' we hear about?

Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reedsburg, WI
Posted Oct 31 2018, 06:26

Hello, 

I have read mixed answers to this both here and from other investors, and am hoping some of the more savy lenders or other knowledgable folks can give a more definitive answer. 

It seems clear that if you are just doing 'government loans', meaning Fannie, Freddie similar, that when you get to ten loans that is the limit. 

I have somewhat taken a 'backwards approach' to the common and usually correct advice of doing 10 conventional loans first and then moving to 'commercial loans' as I invest with partners in an LLC and also with retirement funds which require non-recourse loans.

I now want to do some properties either on my own or with just a single partner, and use long fixed rate financing for properties that I plan to keep for the long haul (20+ years, and probably have family inherit some day). 

My questions are;

• Do my current commercial loans through our LLC, that I did sign a personal guarantee, count towards the '10 conventional loan limit'?
  • If so, is it 'per loan' or 'per property'? Meaning I have at least one loan that cover two properties.
  • Do my current non-recourse loans I have through my SOLO401K count towards the '10 conventional loan limit'. No personal guarantee on these. 

Thanks, Dan Dietz

Loading replies...