Is 5.55% for a cash out refi way high??

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

Why does everyone fret about a percent or so when money is dirt cheap historically. Someday you will be telling your children "you know i used to be able to get money at 5.5% and I thought that was too high!"  

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Littlefield, AZ · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I've been getting about the same for investment properties, with a 725 points credit score, depends on location, if its multi-unit, and more. Seems it's difficult to get much better, for me anyway.

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Justin Farman crazy that’s the second quote around the same number. My credit score hovers around 800. I was surprised I was thinking it would be closer to the rate of an investment mortgage.

  • Real Estate Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2013 · 560 posts · 528 votes
    6y

    720-790 credit score from the 3 agencies, been seeing the same on refis (~5.5%). This is still cheap money. I simple assume this rate in my buying decision, when I am looking to hold long term. If I am refinancing an existing property I own, I also assume a similar rate. 

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Bettencourt:

    Just today got quoted %5.55 for a %70 LVT for a cash out refinance on a 2 unit investment property in CA. Seems high being I just bought a duplex at %4.35. Thoughts?

     What is the loan amount and your approximate fico?

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Shaun Weekes my fico floats around 800 the the property value is between $650k and $700k I owe $346k

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Bettencourt:

    @Shaun Weekes my fico floats around 800 the the property value is between $650k and $700k I owe $346k

    Your rate is high. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Why does everyone fret about a percent or so when money is dirt cheap historically. Someday you will be telling your children "you know i used to be able to get money at 5.5% and I thought that was too high!"  

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 33 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    Why does everyone fret about a percent or so when money is dirt cheap historically. Someday you will be telling your children "you know i used to be able to get money at 5.5% and I thought that was too high!"  

    In my opinion rates will continue trending towards zero/negative. 5.5% is high. In the near future 0% will be the norm. 

  • Lender · Farmington, CT · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 321 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt i’ve done two refis this year and my rate was within .1 or so of yours. i would go with it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    5.5% is fine how much cheaper do you want ?

    . If your deals are that tight ,then your buying wrong ! In the early 80’s it not uncommon to pay 15% interest on a house

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt Assuming this a non-owner occupied, I think this is pretty standard! 

    From a historical point of view with interest at its highest level of about 18.35% in Sep 1981, this is a great deal when you take things into perspective and projected over the life of the loan.

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Dennis M. As cheap as I can. I was just uneducated and thought a cash refi rates would be closer to conventional. People always gripe and say to be thankful for the rates you are getting (which I am) but it would be dumb not to shop around. The difference between %4.75( the current rate on this property) and 5.55% is over $300 a month. There is more than one option for me to gain funds and finding the lowest rate is part of determining my best option. I’m sure most people would do a little research before assuming an additional $300 debt for the next 30 years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulfport, MS · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 133 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt I’ve done two refis in the past 3 months at 4.85 and 5.00. You are in the right ballpark for an investment refi.

  • Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt

    In never hurts to get quotes from two or three lenders.  Do a full application and have them send you a Loan Estimate. Also, it's not only about the rate.  Sometimes there are points or lender origination charges built into the loan that obviously increase your costs.  You may have lenders quote 4.875% but one of them is charging $1000 in total origination charges and the other is charging $5000. 

    With that said, most loans I'm originating these days on investment properties are around 5-5.5%.  





  • Warsaw, IN · Member since 2017 · 229 posts · 270 votes
    6y

    @Rob Malda I agree with you. EU is almost entirely negative interest rates across the board.

    I understand “interest rate risk”

    Is something to consider for long term as investors, but don’t personally expect to see anything much higher than current rates for next 10-15 years, at least.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt

    I'd get a few quotes, and if the numbers work for you pick one and move on. I've used portfolio loans, but they have ranged from 6.00% - 7.25% and 70%/65% LTV.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Yes, that's high. Feel free to PM me for my lender he should be able to lend in your state. Lately rates non owner occupant have been in high 4's.

  • Accountant · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt

    How many banks have you tried? I just had the option of a 4.75 for a cash out refinance or 5.65 AR for a HELOC. That was using local banks in the area and Huntington for the HELOC

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 82 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt at that loan amount with equity it is a bit high hard to say w/o points and fees. Best pricing I would think would be at 5.125 .

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    That does seem high. Usually the fact that it's investment property and you're doing a cash out refi can each add around 0.5 points to the interest rate. I'm going through the process now and the best I'm finding is around 4.6% through the Costco Home Finance program. Their closing costs are pretty low too, I'd recommend giving it a try if you're a member.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 98 posts · 48 votes
    6y
    @Michael Bettencourt that's real high look around more
  • Real Estate Broker · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2017 · 544 posts · 363 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt

    Is that a conventional loan or commercial?

    I closed a commercial blanket loan at 5.75 this Summer. Seems like there should be a larger spread between commercial loans and conventional, but I’m not a banker.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    Rates on small investment multi family are going to be higher than an investment single family. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 148 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Michael Bettencourt rates have inched up this week but that doesn't sound bad at all. They may go up or down next week but a few percentage points shouldn't make or break your decision. You did not mention how much the loan costs. I was at Chase only 4 hours ago getting quotes on a small cash out refi for one of my rental properties. Rates for the exact same loan amount were 5.625% for a loan with 0 points or 4.5% for 2.5 points. You can always find a cheaper rate if you pay higher origination fees but need to run your numbers and figure out which works best for your strategy. 

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    If it cash flows with the new mortgage payment and you get to do another deal I almost wouldn’t care what the rate was. Just my two cents.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.