Notifying Bank of Hard Money Funds for Down Payment

Notifying Bank of Hard Money Funds for Down Payment

Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes

Hello all BP-ers!

I am currently under contract on a 4-plex in the Butte, Montana area and I am beginning to consider hard money lending as an option. I tried to undergo the HELOC process on a different rental property that I have in order to pull some equity out and use for the down payment. Today I just received the news that my debt-to-income ratio is just over 40%, therefore the bank is unwilling to provide a HELOC. I don't have any credit card debt but I do currently have 2 mortgages that I am making payments on and that is the main reason why my DTI is over the allowable limit. I might try the route of cash-out refinancing in order to get the funds for the down payment but I am worried that that might not work out as well.

My question: If I find a good hard-money lending deal and am able to get the cash for the down payment, I am wondering how to tell the bank that I now have the funds to support the down payment? Will they be weary of lending to me because they are going to think that it is a "gift" and therefore won't lend to me? How would you let the bank know that you can move forward with the deal without letting on that you received the down payment funds from a third party?


Thank you all for your help in advance!


-Tory

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
5y

@Tory Brown

I think you’re going to have trouble finding a hard money lender that will take second position behind a bank, who will require first position. Usually HMLs will want to take down the whole deal themselves to have control if you default. What is your intention? Are you flipping it?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    5y

    @Tory Brown

    I think you’re going to have trouble finding a hard money lender that will take second position behind a bank, who will require first position. Usually HMLs will want to take down the whole deal themselves to have control if you default. What is your intention? Are you flipping it?

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    I agree with Mason, any HML is going to take a lien and will most likely want to be in 1st position. I think your best bet is to find an investor willing to put up funds for the down payment but you will most likely have to give up equity to do the deal.

  • Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Mason Hickman Thanks for the reply!

    I am intending to invest in the four plex as a long term hold while updating each unit as a tenant moves out. I do have one interested investor who wants to retain some sort of stake for the life of the property but is willing to provide just the down payment so I can get financing. Just not sure how the bank will take it or whether I should be as clear as possible about having a private party lend money.

    Anyway thanks for your help mason!

    -Tory

  • Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Hi Ryan, I am looking into a different 5-plex in Great Falls, Montana and I am about to put my SFH on the market so I can 1031 into a multi-family property. Wondering if you would still like to chat about alternative financing options as I am going to have to finance the difference that the 1031 does not cover.

    Hope to hear from you,


    -Tory

  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    @Tory Brown

    Hello old friend! Hope you are doing well. I am dropping by to say hello!!!! I also invest in Great Falls and I’m so happy to hear you are still going at it! Nice work! :)

    Love - Alyssa

  • Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Hey Alyssa!

    Good for you! I'd love to chat more about what you are getting into! It's been so long! I just sold the house that I owned in Great Falls and 1031-d the funds into a 5-plex not too far away! Excited for this next chapter!

    How have you been?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.