ASAP--need to find a private lender or should I lend???

ASAP--need to find a private lender or should I lend???

Residential Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 432 posts · 63 votes

Here is the situation...a buyer is trying to buy an owner-occupied SFR with 45% down, mortgage amount of approx. $240k. Great credit, good employment history. The problem has to do with her lack of a working visa but she does have the right to work here. It appears she don't fit perfectly into Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac criteria. This seems like a no-brainer for a private lender. I have even considered making the loan but I'm a little short of $240k cash but I might be able to find someone to come in with me for the rest. My question is, how do I find someone who would be interested in making this loan and how fast can it be done? Also, if I can find someone to go in with me to carry the paper, is there someone who can help me write the loan (escrow?)?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Shari Posey:
This seems like a no-brainer for a private lender.

A normal non-owner occupied loan for say, a flip, could be done in a day or two, Shari. Yours sounds like an owner occupied loan, however. This means Safe Act compliance, a broker that has an NMLS license, and a much more rigorous borrower qualification process. Since you’re looking for partners, it also sounds like you’ll need a broker who knows how to fractionalize a note.

These deals tend also to be considerably riskier that those that are non-owner occupied. Plus, your borrower might expect a relatively low interest, long term, “homeowner” type loan which means finding a private lender willing to loan at a relatively unappealing interest rate & term (for you too).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this but this is not the “no-brainer” I know you’d like to believe. It might be easier to find a conventional lender for your buyer.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Shari Posey:
    This seems like a no-brainer for a private lender.

    A normal non-owner occupied loan for say, a flip, could be done in a day or two, Shari. Yours sounds like an owner occupied loan, however. This means Safe Act compliance, a broker that has an NMLS license, and a much more rigorous borrower qualification process. Since you’re looking for partners, it also sounds like you’ll need a broker who knows how to fractionalize a note.

    These deals tend also to be considerably riskier that those that are non-owner occupied. Plus, your borrower might expect a relatively low interest, long term, “homeowner” type loan which means finding a private lender willing to loan at a relatively unappealing interest rate & term (for you too).

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but this but this is not the “no-brainer” I know you’d like to believe. It might be easier to find a conventional lender for your buyer.

  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    13y

    Jeff is right. Originating owner occupied loans carries a different set of risks, with tremendous liability to the lender.

    Possible solutions:

    1) Connect with a mortgage broker who knows companies that may originate this type of loan.

    2) Have the seller originate carry back financing (they have a special exemption) they can sell the loan to a note investor down the road if they need liquidity.

    Good Luck

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    I agree with Jeff and Ellis. Many (or most) private and hard money lenders why away from OO loans due to all the compliance issues and typically lower returns.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 432 posts · 63 votes
    13y

    What about a portfolio lender who doesn't sell their loans back to FM/FM? The property is in CA. I've got my favorite mortgage broker working on this but I wanted to put out some more feelers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.