Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Clark
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Votes |
Question about owner occupied loans with rentals

Michael Clark
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Posted

Hello all, I'm looking into buying my first investment property. Ill be using an FHA loan, which means ill need to live in it for a whole year. What are my options for buying a triplex with all month-to-month leases? Could I purchase it and just let the bank know I won't be occupying it until the 30-day non-lease renewal period is up and the tenant is gone? Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied

@Michael Clark

I'd have a conversation with your loan officer on that, and how strict they are going to be.  It sounds to me like it shouldn't be an huge issue, but make sure you check, because not following their requirements is considered mortgage fraud which is a federal offense.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mandela Shaw
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied

Shouldn't be an issue unless you intend on closing in < 30 days right?

Unless the downpayment amount is a factor, or unless you are adamant on staying in one of the units, you may want to shop around with some hard/private money lenders as well. Banks that finance qualified loans such as FHA and conventional loans will not valuate the property based on its income potential the same way a hard/private money lender will.

On the flip side, your downpayment will be higher. Unless you are securing the investment 25% or more under market. But at least the non-qualified lenders will not require that you say in it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Need to have tenants of unit you are occupying out before closing 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied

@Michael Clark FHA does require that you occupy the property within 60 days of closing (so 59 days or less) and that you occupy the property for 12 months. So if the existing lease has language in it that reflects the tenant is required to have a 90 day notice before moving out...then that means that notification needs to be provided to them and then you close when that notification has 58 days or less on it. Hope that makes sense how I am describing it. Essentially the FHA underwriter will ask for a copy of the leases to verify that you can move into the property under those requirements.

You can absolutely accomplish this and the tenant does not have to move out before closing.

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

@Michael Clark some banks allow letters of explanation stating as such. I've done that for some of my clients and some lenders allow it. Ask you LO and see as each state may have different terms on vacating a unit for the owner to occupy.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Clark
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scranton, PA
Replied

Thank you all!

User Stats

Votes
Grace Maxwell
  • Lender
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Richmond, VA
Replied

I have previously done this by providing a copy of the lease showing the required notice to terminate and proof that the notice was delivered. Notably I had one client send me a selfie next to the notice posted on the door as proof of delivery. Worked, surprisingly. I wouldn't count on selfie-based underwriting, and would write it as part of your offer that the seller agrees to serve notice to that tenant at some point, since you wouldn't be party to the lease until you own the property.