Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Elijah Jay Dangerfield
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Votes |
Owner Financing Help

Elijah Jay Dangerfield
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Posted

Hello!

I recently found myself in a situation where owner financing is an option for me to get into my next deal. I am working with the owner now on a set of terms that works for the both of us. I am now frantically searching on the internet to learn what all is needed paperwork wise to structure an owner financing deal in Tennessee. I have read some online resources that say that it may be very hard to do in Tennessee so I now have come to the place with the best people to see if anyone has any advice for me to figure this out. 

Thank you guys!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Elijah Jay Dangerfield A quick google search shows that land contracts are valid in TN.  To be sure consult a real estate attorney in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

I have not done any of these in TN, what I would do is call a title company and ask what kind of paperwork is needed to make a owner finance transaction happen 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Elijah Jay Dangerfield

Do not do a land contract. Treat it like a traditional deal with a note and deed of trust/mortgage. Find a local title company and they can handle the paperwork

User Stats

Votes
Elijah Jay Dangerfield
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Franklin, TN
Replied

Thank you guys for all of the help! the deal ended up falling a part but im glad I was able to push myself into the position where it was an option. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

A promissory note along with a mortgage (or deed of trust) are the two biggest documents you will want to secure. Also, make sure your name is on the deed and you are actually the owner of the property, known as a warranty deed. With a land contract, the seller still controls ownership of the property.