Structuring a Seller Financed Deal that's too good to pass up

Structuring a Seller Financed Deal that's too good to pass up

Corinne UlloaPro Member
Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes

Hello BP Community,

I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

182k List Price

On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

The rents total about 2,000

The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

2500 EMD

6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Corinne

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

Hello BP Community,

I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

182k List Price

On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

The rents total about 2,000

The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

2500 EMD

6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Corinne


 >The rents total about 2,000

If the rents total $2K for the 4 units, I would run from this deal even if the interest rate was 3% with $0 down.  Why?  Because the expenses will consume all the rent.  1% rule does not come close to being profitable on this property.  50% rule would significantly underestimate the expenses for this property.

Find a different investment.  You will be better off investing in virtually anything else.  

BTW residential RE is not passive.  The return for residential RE has to exceed more passive investment options to justify the effort.

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    Hello BP Community,

    I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

    182k List Price

    On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

    1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

    3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

    The rents total about 2,000

    The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD

    6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

    What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

    My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

    Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

    Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Corinne


    Seller financing with a servicer would go on your credit report, but more importantly when you go to buy a home, you have to list the home and seller financed mortgage on the loan application (I assume you do not want to commit mortgage fraud).

    Having it at a servicer who reports to credit would actually be better in this scenario to build additional credit.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Hi @Chris Seveney! Thanks for taking that time to address my questions. I did not realize that it would go on my credit report or that it would be a factor in the process if the seller was financing it. I did a couple of google searches and they all stated that it wouldn't. Thanks for the information! I definitely do not want to commit mortgage fraud. As for the loan servicer, I agree on that, but for clarification of all factors, my credit is excellent so there's no need to build further. I have received preapproval for my primary home loan already and am in the process of looking for a home that has an additional dwelling on the property so that I can cash flow with a MTR.

    Thanks again!

    Corinne

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    Congrats to you for taking action!

    As you're currently looking for a primary residence, many (if not all) lenders will tell you not to make any major purchases at this time. Large purchases where you open lines of credit or obtain a new loan may reduce your credit score and increase your debt-to-income ratio, leaving you with less "house" to purchase for yourself.

    I recommend completing the purchase of your primary residence, then speaking with the owner of the 4-Plex.

    I wish you all the best.

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hamp Lee III:

    Congrats to you for taking action!

    As you're currently looking for a primary residence, many (if not all) lenders will tell you not to make any major purchases at this time. Large purchases where you open lines of credit or obtain a new loan may reduce your credit score and increase your debt-to-income ratio, leaving you with less "house" to purchase for yourself.

    I recommend completing the purchase of your primary residence, then speaking with the owner of the 4-Plex.

    I wish you all the best.

     Thanks, @Hamp Lee III, for taking the time to reply. Sound advice! 

    Question 2 for you; how would you move forward if you were in my position? We do not have to move, rather I was hoping to get my foot in the rental game by renting out our current primary, all the while taking advantage of lower list prices due to the higher interest rates. According to Google, the median home price in my county in 725k and will definitely appreciate quickly.  This route would mean we'd hold 2 properties with high appreciation, improving our long game holdings and overall portfolio. Below are what I have defined as my RE plays in the next 0-6 month time frame.

    OPT A

    Renting out our current primary would fetch approx $1000 p/m cash flow. The new property with ADU for mid-term rentals has a potential to fetch around $1500-$2000 per month, partially offsetting our new mortgage.

    OPT B

    Staying in our current home and purchasing the 4-plex that is projected to bring in approx 1000 p/mnth and waiting the period required for the loan to be considered as serviced before looking for a primary?

    Of course with either option the plan is to continue investing until our goal of taking over the World is met (Jk! I'm corny), with the next opportunity pursued being the STR in a college beach town in Florida.

    A better question is probably, is there a way to accomplish it all today (I guess that I had more than 1 question😁 )

    Thanks again!

    Corinne

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    If you don’t mind moving again, I would go with Option A. You have an opportunity to generate from your current and future home. That sounds like a win!

    Either way, you have a good “problem.” 😉

    Congrats!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    Hello BP Community,

    I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

    182k List Price

    On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

    1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

    3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

    The rents total about 2,000

    The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD

    6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

    What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

    My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

    Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

    Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Corinne


     >The rents total about 2,000

    If the rents total $2K for the 4 units, I would run from this deal even if the interest rate was 3% with $0 down.  Why?  Because the expenses will consume all the rent.  1% rule does not come close to being profitable on this property.  50% rule would significantly underestimate the expenses for this property.

    Find a different investment.  You will be better off investing in virtually anything else.  

    BTW residential RE is not passive.  The return for residential RE has to exceed more passive investment options to justify the effort.

    Good luck

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hamp Lee III:

    If you don’t mind moving again, I would go with Option A. You have an opportunity to generate from your current and future home. That sounds like a win!

    Either way, you have a good “problem.” 😉

    Congrats!

     When you put it that way, it sounds REALLY good!

    Thanks again!

    Corinne

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan H.:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    Hello BP Community,

    I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

    182k List Price

    On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

    1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

    3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

    The rents total about 2,000

    The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD

    6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

    What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

    My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

    Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

    Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Corinne


     >The rents total about 2,000

    If the rents total $2K for the 4 units, I would run from this deal even if the interest rate was 3% with $0 down.  Why?  Because the expenses will consume all the rent.  1% rule does not come close to being profitable on this property.  50% rule would significantly underestimate the expenses for this property.

    Find a different investment.  You will be better off investing in virtually anything else.  

    BTW residential RE is not passive.  The return for residential RE has to exceed more passive investment options to justify the effort.

    Good luck

    Good evening @Dan H.,

    Thanks for weighing in on this! Not sure if some on my lines of comm were crossed from the original message but, I performed the 1% Rule and 50% rule and it appears that the property passed. See below:

    1%: 2000 x 100 = 200,000 - The property is currently listed for 182k

    50%: 2000 / 2 = 1000, which should cover the mortgage payment (if I change my original terms to put 5% down and get them to agree to a interest rate of 4% or less)

    Thanks for the tidbits on how to quickly analyze a deal!

    Have a fantastic remainder of your evening!

    Corinne

    @Dan H.undefined

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:
    Quote from @Dan H.:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    Hello BP Community,

    I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

    182k List Price

    On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

    1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

    3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

    The rents total about 2,000

    The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD

    6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

    What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

    My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

    Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

    Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Corinne


     >The rents total about 2,000

    If the rents total $2K for the 4 units, I would run from this deal even if the interest rate was 3% with $0 down.  Why?  Because the expenses will consume all the rent.  1% rule does not come close to being profitable on this property.  50% rule would significantly underestimate the expenses for this property.

    Find a different investment.  You will be better off investing in virtually anything else.  

    BTW residential RE is not passive.  The return for residential RE has to exceed more passive investment options to justify the effort.

    Good luck

    Good evening @Dan H.,

    Thanks for weighing in on this! Not sure if some on my lines of comm were crossed from the original message but, I performed the 1% Rule and 50% rule and it appears that the property passed. See below:

    1%: 2000 x 100 = 200,000 - The property is currently listed for 182k

    50%: 2000 / 2 = 1000, which should cover the mortgage payment (if I change my original terms to put 5% down and get them to agree to a interest rate of 4% or less)

    Thanks for the tidbits on how to quickly analyze a deal!

    Have a fantastic remainder of your evening!

    Corinne

    @Dan H.undefined


     At that rent point, 1% will not produce a profit.  At that rent point, expenses will exceed 50%.  These rules can work in many markets (at least prior to the rate hikes), but not a market with rents that are $500/unit on average.

    Do a thorough underwriting. My guess is the maintenance/cap ex estimate should be $900/month in a low-cost market. Remember there will be 4 kitchens, at least 4 bathrooms, etc. Add vacancy, insurance, property tax, P&I, etc. It will surpass the $2k rent if financed at a high LTV. This property will bleed cash unless you finance at a low LTV. If you finance at a low LTV 1) your return will be $hit 2) you have enough money for much better investment options.

    Good luck

  • Michael L.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 293 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    Great rising Corrine Ulloa, I think what @Dan Heuschele mean is that if your mortgage is $1,000, after adding the expenses would you be cash flowing? I get having the appreciating area but having room for any type of downturn that will have an affect on your asset is important. What if rents in the area go in reverse and you're hardly cash flowing. An if cash flow isn't the near term goal (which I'd overstand, make sure you have a reserve on standby. Have a wonderful day and I wish you well in your endeavors🫡.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    4-plex. 182k List Price. On MLS for 259 days. The rents total about 2,000

    I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD. 6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    I'll just speak to the SF offer itself although I do have my reservations about $500 rents.   Tough territory.  And as @Dan H. mentioned, %s of thumb stop working.  

    Of my 16 or so SF purchases, only 1 was listed but it was a plex so that is good.    

    My normal 10% down payment had to be 22% because of commissions.    Most sellers will want to net 10% at closing and the realtors get paid first. 

    I can see asking for interest only for a time but not interest free.  Could be a tax headache for them and money market accounts are paying over 4%.  People will usually say no to complexity. 

    I'd submit a letter of intent to the LA like I always do.  Outline 3 broad stroke scenarios that would work for you and see what they say.  Don't bury them in detailed specifics yet. 

    I don't think my SF contracts as a buyer or seller have shown up on my credit report but I don't check it much.   

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan H.:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:
    Quote from @Dan H.:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    Hello BP Community,

    I am a newbie investor that is looking to jump into the market with a 4-Plex deal in a college town. I have had analysis paralysis and am ready to get this journey started. I have not had any conversations the with seller as of this moment, but am am only interested in the deal as a seller carryback or sub-to; depending upon the situation with their funding.

    182k List Price

    On MLS for 259 days (as of today)

    1 - 3bed/1bth (rented)

    3 - 1bed/1bth (all 3 rented)

    The rents total about 2,000

    The local realtor was unable to tell me anything about the seller's intentions when we spoke, so that makes it difficult to structure the deal taking that into consideration. The only think that I can gleam is that they should be pretty motivated with the number of days that it's been on the market. In any event, if all checks out with the foundation, roof and individual units when I go view the property, then I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD

    6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    If I have not obtained funding to cover the balloon as of this time, I would like to insert a balloon extension with a penalty of 1% in interest for the following 12 months until the end of the 3rd year where the balloon would be due. 

    What type of loan product should I look to pursue at the end of the terms? Hopefully loan rates will be more favorable at that time.

    My motivations for wanting a seller carryback is that I am looking to purchase a primary home in the next couple of months and do not want to obtain conventional funding that will skew things with my credit and lendability. I'd like to use the 6-months of interest free time to make the exterior look more inviting and if any of the leases aren't renewed in the time frame, fix up the vacant apt to get higher rents.

    Would you say that this is a deal worth pursuing? I just don't want to fall flat on my face right out of the gate.

    Any comments/suggestions for structuring the deal will be most appreciated and welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Corinne


     >The rents total about 2,000

    If the rents total $2K for the 4 units, I would run from this deal even if the interest rate was 3% with $0 down.  Why?  Because the expenses will consume all the rent.  1% rule does not come close to being profitable on this property.  50% rule would significantly underestimate the expenses for this property.

    Find a different investment.  You will be better off investing in virtually anything else.  

    BTW residential RE is not passive.  The return for residential RE has to exceed more passive investment options to justify the effort.

    Good luck

    Good evening @Dan H.,

    Thanks for weighing in on this! Not sure if some on my lines of comm were crossed from the original message but, I performed the 1% Rule and 50% rule and it appears that the property passed. See below:

    1%: 2000 x 100 = 200,000 - The property is currently listed for 182k

    50%: 2000 / 2 = 1000, which should cover the mortgage payment (if I change my original terms to put 5% down and get them to agree to a interest rate of 4% or less)

    Thanks for the tidbits on how to quickly analyze a deal!

    Have a fantastic remainder of your evening!

    Corinne

    @Dan H.undefined


     At that rent point, 1% will not produce a profit.  At that rent point, expenses will exceed 50%.  These rules can work in many markets (at least prior to the rate hikes), but not a market with rents that are $500/unit on average.

    Do a thorough underwriting. My guess is the maintenance/cap ex estimate should be $900/month in a low-cost market. Remember there will be 4 kitchens, at least 4 bathrooms, etc. Add vacancy, insurance, property tax, P&I, etc. It will surpass the $2k rent if financed at a high LTV. This property will bleed cash unless you finance at a low LTV. If you finance at a low LTV 1) your return will be $hit 2) you have enough money for much better investment options.

    Good luck

     @Dan H. Noted! Ok. Thanks for defining that. I am looking to cash flow on this property, so if it's not going to do that as well as I had once projected, no harm no foul. I'll just keep looking. If anything, this is all a great learning experience and I am smarter more sound investor because of it :).

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:

    4-plex. 182k List Price. On MLS for 259 days. The rents total about 2,000

    I would like to hopefully get the seller to agree to the following terms:

    2500 EMD. 6 months of the mortgage up front - interest free 

    Then between months 7-24 month begin paying interest at a rate of 6% with a balloon at the end of this term.

    I'll just speak to the SF offer itself although I do have my reservations about $500 rents.   Tough territory.  And as @Dan H. mentioned, %s of thumb stop working.  

    Of my 16 or so SF purchases, only 1 was listed but it was a plex so that is good.    

    My normal 10% down payment had to be 22% because of commissions.    Most sellers will want to net 10% at closing and the realtors get paid first. 

    I can see asking for interest only for a time but not interest free.  Could be a tax headache for them and money market accounts are paying over 4%.  People will usually say no to complexity. 

    I'd submit a letter of intent to the LA like I always do.  Outline 3 broad stroke scenarios that would work for you and see what they say.  Don't bury them in detailed specifics yet. 

    I don't think my SF contracts as a buyer or seller have shown up on my credit report but I don't check it much.   

     Hello @Steve Vaughan! Thanks for weighing in! I have noted that most sellers would like to net 10% at closing and to keep it simple. Also I like the idea of "3-broad" stroke scenarios. 

    Thanks again!

    Corinne

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael L.:

    Great rising Corrine Ulloa, I think what @Dan Heuschele mean is that if your mortgage is $1,000, after adding the expenses would you be cash flowing? I get having the appreciating area but having room for any type of downturn that will have an affect on your asset is important. What if rents in the area go in reverse and you're hardly cash flowing. An if cash flow isn't the near term goal (which I'd overstand, make sure you have a reserve on standby. Have a wonderful day and I wish you well in your endeavors🫡.

    Hello @Michael L. ! Thanks for weighing in. Cash flow was definitely the name of the game for this one, so, it wouldn't be a good fit. 

    According to your profile, you are in Baltimore. Do you invest in that market? 

    Thanks,

    Corinne

  • Michael L.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 293 posts · 58 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:
    Quote from @Michael L.:

    Great rising Corrine Ulloa, I think what @Dan Heuschele mean is that if your mortgage is $1,000, after adding the expenses would you be cash flowing? I get having the appreciating area but having room for any type of downturn that will have an affect on your asset is important. What if rents in the area go in reverse and you're hardly cash flowing. An if cash flow isn't the near term goal (which I'd overstand, make sure you have a reserve on standby. Have a wonderful day and I wish you well in your endeavors🫡.

    Hello @Michael L. ! Thanks for weighing in. Cash flow was definitely the name of the game for this one, so, it wouldn't be a good fit. 

    According to your profile, you are in Baltimore. Do you invest in that market? 

    Thanks,

    Corinne

    @Corinne Ulloa, I'm currently looking for my first fix&flip project and/or my first buy&hold. 
  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael L.:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:
    Quote from @Michael L.:

    Great rising Corrine Ulloa, I think what @Dan Heuschele mean is that if your mortgage is $1,000, after adding the expenses would you be cash flowing? I get having the appreciating area but having room for any type of downturn that will have an affect on your asset is important. What if rents in the area go in reverse and you're hardly cash flowing. An if cash flow isn't the near term goal (which I'd overstand, make sure you have a reserve on standby. Have a wonderful day and I wish you well in your endeavors🫡.

    Hello @Michael L. ! Thanks for weighing in. Cash flow was definitely the name of the game for this one, so, it wouldn't be a good fit. 

    According to your profile, you are in Baltimore. Do you invest in that market? 

    Thanks,

    Corinne

    @Corinne Ulloa, I'm currently looking for my first fix&flip project and/or my first buy&hold. 

     @Michael L. Good luck! I don't know anything about the market but if for some reason a lead from that area is brought to my attention and it isn't a fit for me, I'll pass it along.

  • Michael L.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 293 posts · 58 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:
    Quote from @Michael L.:
    Quote from @Corinne Ulloa:
    Quote from @Michael L.:

    Great rising Corrine Ulloa, I think what @Dan Heuschele mean is that if your mortgage is $1,000, after adding the expenses would you be cash flowing? I get having the appreciating area but having room for any type of downturn that will have an affect on your asset is important. What if rents in the area go in reverse and you're hardly cash flowing. An if cash flow isn't the near term goal (which I'd overstand, make sure you have a reserve on standby. Have a wonderful day and I wish you well in your endeavors🫡.

    Hello @Michael L. ! Thanks for weighing in. Cash flow was definitely the name of the game for this one, so, it wouldn't be a good fit. 

    According to your profile, you are in Baltimore. Do you invest in that market? 

    Thanks,

    Corinne

    @Corinne Ulloa, I'm currently looking for my first fix&flip project and/or my first buy&hold. 

     @Michael L. Good luck! I don't know anything about the market but if for some reason a lead from that area is brought to my attention and it isn't a fit for me, I'll pass it along.


     @Corinne Ulloa, much obliged🤜🏻🤛🏽..

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    It's kind of hard to say without knowing the area that it's in and whether the rents you're stating are at or below market. It's not much cash flow, if any, after expenses. Often, sellers will offer much better rates than 6% interest  so I wouldn't lead with that. I'd offer something much lower. But a property that has been listed for that long often doesn't have a motivated seller, even though that may sound counterintuitive. If they're motivated you'll see price drops because they're trying to get it to move. Sometimes you have lazy or busy sellers who want the price they want and are willing to hold out until they get it. Or you have Realtors who just don't do a good job of advising the seller. If you haven't already started working through a Realtor, I'd try to research who the seller is and contact them directly. You might have better luck.

  • Corinne UlloaPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    It's kind of hard to say without knowing the area that it's in and whether the rents you're stating are at or below market. It's not much cash flow, if any, after expenses. Often, sellers will offer much better rates than 6% interest  so I wouldn't lead with that. I'd offer something much lower. But a property that has been listed for that long often doesn't have a motivated seller, even though that may sound counterintuitive. If they're motivated you'll see price drops because they're trying to get it to move. Sometimes you have lazy or busy sellers who want the price they want and are willing to hold out until they get it. Or you have Realtors who just don't do a good job of advising the seller. If you haven't already started working through a Realtor, I'd try to research who the seller is and contact them directly. You might have better luck.

    Hello @Bonnie Low,

    Thanks for your input. I also thought about reaching out directly to the owner to see if I could get any indication as to whether they were motivated at this time, and if so, by what. I found that it appears to be held by a living trust. Do you have any experience with reaching those individuals that are put in charge of a living trust? Does this typically affect the timeline of a sale for property?

    Corinne

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.