Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Bria Bacon
Pro Member
Votes |
Can I do an FHA 203K on a lot with two duplexes on it?

Bria Bacon
Pro Member
Posted Jan 31 2024, 10:24

Hello all. I'm a newbie investor based in Atlanta looking to invest in my 1st multi-family property using the FHA/FHA 203k loan. I found a fixer-upper property that has two duplexes on one lot. They were originally duplexes, but have both been converted to single-family homes. My idea is to do the FHA 203K and renovate them fully, converting them both back to duplexes. I found another lot that had a quadplex & a SFH on it. I like the idea of living in the SFH while renting out the quadplex. Will I be able to do the FHA loan with two properties on the same lot? Is this feasible when there are two homes on the same lot w/ two different addresses? Any insight/pieces of advice are helpful!!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 31 2024, 12:07

@Bria Bacon, this is all nuanced. I could be mistaken, but this will likely not meet FHA underwriting if two separate addresses exist. Both properties would need to be on one parcel under one address. Moreover, I would assume there would be some underwriting interference if the properties are converted from SFHs back to duplexes. What does the tax ID indicate? What is the lot zoned as?

User Stats

Votes
Lateefah Mathews
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 31 2024, 15:34
Quote from @Michael Dumler:

@Bria Bacon, this is all nuanced. I could be mistaken, but this will likely not meet FHA underwriting if two separate addresses exist. Both properties would need to be on one parcel under one address. Moreover, I would assume there would be some underwriting interference if the properties are converted from SFHs back to duplexes. What does the tax ID indicate? What is the lot zoned as?

I completely agree! While the FHA 203k does permit renovations, converting from a single-family residence back to a duplex might encounter some zoning and occupancy issues, especially with two properties sharing the same lot but having different addresses. Also, any structural alterations, such as demolishing or adding walls, must strictly adhere to their guidelines, which I assume you'll need to consider for your conversion project.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jan 31 2024, 17:52

The “2 addresses” is not an issue….it only matters that they are both on one parcel/tax id no. As long  as the current zoning allows 4 units, it should qualify. 

User Stats

Votes
Wencheur Antoin
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 31 2024, 21:37

Just to learn from Bria's question, Given that the 203k FHA loan is for SFH and small multifamily, the situation of having a quad and a SF under the same address does not make it over 4 units?

User Stats

Votes
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 1 2024, 17:11

@Wencheur Antoin Nope, that’s 5 units. 

User Stats

Votes
Wencheur Antoin
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Feb 1 2024, 18:54
Quote from @Wayne Brooks:

Exactly @Wayne Brooks, that being said FHA loan is no more a applicable. right?

User Stats

Votes
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 2 2024, 02:47
Quote from @Wencheur Antoin:
Quote from @Wayne Brooks:

Exactly @Wayne Brooks, that being said FHA loan is no more a applicable. right?

Correct