Borrowing Against Roth IRA?

Borrowing Against Roth IRA?

Member since 2023 · 74 posts · 18 votes

I have heard on several separate occasions about the idea of "borrowing against an IRA" to build funds for investing, but am unable to find any more information about this when I search for it. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with this? Thanks!

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian EastmanPro Member
Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

@Kyle Kline

You cannot borrow from an IRA plan. It is possible to borrow from an employer plan like a 401(k).

Some people claim to "borrow" from an IRA by executing a 60-day rollover. You can take a distribution from an IRA, and so long as you return the funds to a qualified retirement plan within 60 days, the distribution is cancelled. If you miss the 60-day window, the funds are irrevocably treated as a distribution. This is allowed once per 12 months per taxpayer. I have seen more people torch their retirement plan using this "strategy" than I care to think about.

As @Chris Seveney notes, an IRA can be setup with a specialty self-directed custodian so the IRA can be invested in non-traditional assets like real estate. This is not a means for you to invest in real estate personally, and you cannot personally benefit such as by keeping the income yourself. Rather, your IRA can invest in real estate instead of being limited to investing in the stock market. If you think you can generate better performance for your IRA in real estate, this is something to explore.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kyle Kline:

    I have heard on several separate occasions about the idea of "borrowing against an IRA" to build funds for investing, but am unable to find any more information about this when I search for it. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with this? Thanks!


    Why would you borrow funds and just not use the Roth IRA to invest?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Kyle Kline

    You cannot borrow from an IRA plan. It is possible to borrow from an employer plan like a 401(k).

    Some people claim to "borrow" from an IRA by executing a 60-day rollover. You can take a distribution from an IRA, and so long as you return the funds to a qualified retirement plan within 60 days, the distribution is cancelled. If you miss the 60-day window, the funds are irrevocably treated as a distribution. This is allowed once per 12 months per taxpayer. I have seen more people torch their retirement plan using this "strategy" than I care to think about.

    As @Chris Seveney notes, an IRA can be setup with a specialty self-directed custodian so the IRA can be invested in non-traditional assets like real estate. This is not a means for you to invest in real estate personally, and you cannot personally benefit such as by keeping the income yourself. Rather, your IRA can invest in real estate instead of being limited to investing in the stock market. If you think you can generate better performance for your IRA in real estate, this is something to explore.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I'd go reread the posts that mention that. Are they talking about borrowing from someone else's IRA? It's a pretty comon source for private lending since those with self directed IRAs are typically looking for alternative investments to place funds in.

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2011 · 606 posts · 413 votes
    2y

    Unlike a 401k, you cannot borrow against an IRA. However, you can invest with your IRA into real estate as long as you have the correct self directed IRA setup. Also, you cannot buy a property you already own into your IRA that is self dealing. There are rules to follow but not hard to do.

  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 497 votes
    2y

    @Kyle Kline A couple of things I'll add.  1.  You can always "borrow" or withdraw the principle since you already paid taxes on it.  2.  If you qualify for a solo 401k (self employed with no w2 employees other than a spouse) you can take what's called a participant loan.  Up to $50k or 50% (based on available cash) of the total plan assets whichever is less.  Paid back by you at prime plus 1% over 5 years.  Or 15 years if used for the purchase of a primary residence.  

  • Jeffrey DixonPro Member
    Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 44 votes
    2y

    You cannot borrow from your own IRA or a prohibited party to you. An IRA can use financing from a lender or seller financing to buy real estate. While the IRS allows this, it is a taxable issue. The tax is called Unrelated Debt Financed Income tax (UDFI).

  • Member since 2023 · 74 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    Thank you all for your responses. Each time I heard about this concept it was in a vague context, so I assumed either I was misunderstanding or that it was not a realistic strategy. I just wanted to explore it and see if there was any validity to it, so I appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.