• Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Seller Financing Terms

Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorPosted May 15 2014, 08:01

I may be entering into a seller financing situation where the sellers offered us a portfolio of properties double the size we were initially planning on and offering to finance the down payment that we do not have. What sort of terms are normal? It would be $75k - $175k

Second City Real Estate Logo
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied May 15 2014, 08:28
Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt:
I may be entering into a seller financing situation where the sellers offered us a portfolio of properties double the size we were initially planning on and offering to finance the down payment that we do not have. What sort of terms are normal? It would be $75k - $175k

The sellers are willing to finance your down in second position? Yay! Love when that happens. There are no customary rates or terms for seller financing on investment property. Could be really low, could be outrageous. See what they want and what works for you.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied May 15 2014, 08:29

You still need money for closings costs, due diligence, and reserves for ongoing repairs or issues with the property to get it to it's full potential.

Are they offering a land contract or a regular sale where you get the deed??

Sellers like land contracts because they maintain control and if you don't do as promised they take the property back versus a regular sale you are now the new owner with the deed and they will foreclose to get the property back if you won't quit claim it to them. Depending on the state the foreclosure process can be long and expensive and their property deteriorates before they get it back .

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 15 2014, 08:52

@Joel Owens This is a portfolio deal originally for 15 properties with a commercial loan - I mentioned to the sellers that I was looking to buy another similar sized portfolio in the area in a year or two when I get the down payment. They said why wait - let's double the portfolio and we can cover what you can't get from the bank in seller financing. So I would assume they would take second position.

It is a family of 15+ members who own 100+ properties and 18 businesses. The grandma wants to liquidate some to invest in other businesses. They would also continue to manage the properties.

They are supposed to be sending me the offer today so I was wondering what seller financing terms to expect so I can benchmark

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied May 15 2014, 10:31
@Joel Owens This is a portfolio deal originally for 15 properties with a commercial loan - I mentioned to the sellers that I was looking to buy another similar sized portfolio in the area in a year or two when I get the down payment. They said why wait - let's double the portfolio and we can cover what you can't get from the bank in seller financing. So I would assume they would take second position.

It is a family of 15+ members who own 100+ properties and 18 businesses. The grandma wants to liquidate some to invest in other businesses. They would also continue to manage the properties.

They are supposed to be sending me the offer today so I was wondering what seller financing terms to expect so I can benchmark

If your sellers are experienced investors, they know they will be in second position. I'm guessing the loan offer will have some steep terms.

A seller offering to help you become 100% encumbered is a red flag to me. It sounds as if maybe the properties are difficult to finance and/or they have a limited buyer pool. Where I am there is no shortage of buyers wanting to get into multis most have downs. What's the condition of the properties and what's the area like?

That being said, if the numbers work, then steep terms on the 2nd shouldn't be a problem.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied May 15 2014, 10:34
Originally posted by @Joel Owens:
You still need money for closings costs, due diligence, and reserves for ongoing repairs or issues with the property to get it to it's full potential.

Are they offering a land contract or a regular sale where you get the deed??

Sellers like land contracts because they maintain control and if you don't do as promised they take the property back versus a regular sale you are now the new owner with the deed and they will foreclose to get the property back if you won't quit claim it to them. Depending on the state the foreclosure process can be long and expensive and their property deteriorates before they get it back .

The OP is getting a loan, so the sellers can't negotiate a land contract. They can just carry in 2nd position.

What's the typical minimal downpayment requirement for commercial loans on rental portfolios?

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Jenkins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Replied May 15 2014, 10:55

" They would also continue to manage the properties "

It might not be good idea.

{ better to have your own team in place for this transaction }

Suggestion:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No early pre-payment penalty.

Inspection would be need on each property

in this potential bulk purchase.

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 15 2014, 11:16

The sellers listed 1 property on the MLS. We went under contract already and asked if they had more since we had been approved for a commercial loan for $500k with 25% down. They started to put a package together for us then asked if we wanted to do between $1 and $1.2 million package (our long term goal with the market) They want to put the money into their non REI businesses. So we would put 12.5% down and seller finance 12.5% and commercial loan the 75% LTV

@Ramon Jenkins

- These people are by far the most competent and communicative we have met in the market. I have talked with many brokers/PM/brokerages there and have had trouble getting people to return a simple email, let alone manage our business. We actually had to fire our agent who is representing us for the 1 MLS deal because of laziness and incompetence.

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 15 2014, 11:51

@Ramon Jenkins

@Account Closed undefined

I am having problems tagging, sorry!

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Jenkins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Replied May 15 2014, 12:01

Okay

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied May 15 2014, 12:42
The sellers listed 1 property on the MLS. We went under contract already and asked if they had more since we had been approved for a commercial loan for $500k with 25% down. They started to put a package together for us then asked if we wanted to do between $1 and $1.2 million package (our long term goal with the market) They want to put the money into their non REI businesses. So we would put 12.5% down and seller finance 12.5% and commercial loan the 75% LTV

So the sellers are carrying back a 12.5% 2nd, which makes more sense. You do have a cash down and skin in the game for the commercial lender. Please keep us posted on how negotiations go!

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 15 2014, 12:56

@Account Closed

I will!

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Getant
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Jan 4 2015, 08:37

Hi Brie 

Any updates?

Samuel 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph H.
  • Kansas City, Mo
Votes |
  • Kansas City, Mo
Replied Mar 28 2019, 16:10

@Brie Schmidt

How did the deal go? Can you share your experiences? I am looking at a potential 5 property deal with 11 units total.

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Mar 29 2019, 05:03
Originally posted by @Joseph H.:

@Brie Schmidt

How did the deal go? Can you share your experiences? I am looking at a potential 5 property deal with 11 units total.

I couldn't find a bank to allow seller seconds and they didn't want to finance the whole deal