Catonsville, MD · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 21 votes
Hi all. I'm hoping to use a portfolio lender to finance my first flip. If I find that BankA offers residential rehab portfolio loans, will their terms depend on their confidence in the deal, to include my experience and the quality of the proposal? Or is it more like, BankA offers a product and it's always structured a certain way, has a certain interest rate, duration, etc?
I think he just means any random portfolio lender (i.e, "Bank A" versus "Bank B")...I was confused about that at first as well... :-)
To answer the OP's question... In general, most portfolio lenders will have a standard product (specific requirements, specific downpayment amount, specific rate/terms, etc). And that product will be relatively similar between most portfolio lenders, in my experience. That said, if you have a unique situation, it's very possible that the lender will be willing (or require themselves) to tailor the loans to you specifically.
For example, if you have a lot of cash reserves, they may not be as strict on the income requirements. Or, if you don't have any experience, they may do the deal with a slightly larger downpayment.
The whole point of a portfolio lender is that they have the authority to make their own underwriting guidelines and create their own loan products, and sometimes they'll go "off script" if the deal/investor warrants it.
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
BoA isn't what I'd call a "portfolio lender". Unless you are working with/through part of their Merrill Lynch Global Wealth Management group, your loan will be sold to a GSE. Even the MLGWM banking group's "income consists primarily of advisory and underwriting fees." That's straight from their annual report. They tend not to hold 'straight' NOO real estate debt. If they do deal with RE, they may (probably will) dish it off to Global Banking Group.
My advice is to find a small commercial bank that actually originates and holds (and services) loans.
I think he just means any random portfolio lender (i.e, "Bank A" versus "Bank B")...I was confused about that at first as well... :-)
To answer the OP's question... In general, most portfolio lenders will have a standard product (specific requirements, specific downpayment amount, specific rate/terms, etc). And that product will be relatively similar between most portfolio lenders, in my experience. That said, if you have a unique situation, it's very possible that the lender will be willing (or require themselves) to tailor the loans to you specifically.
For example, if you have a lot of cash reserves, they may not be as strict on the income requirements. Or, if you don't have any experience, they may do the deal with a slightly larger downpayment.
The whole point of a portfolio lender is that they have the authority to make their own underwriting guidelines and create their own loan products, and sometimes they'll go "off script" if the deal/investor warrants it.
Sorry Chris, "BankA" was obviously a bad fictitious bank example. J's right.. it was meant to mean "any bank". Didn't mean to come up with something so close to BoA. I have software engineering background, so I guess that's bleeding through with my variable names. Thanks for your detailed response.
And thanks J. I'd hoped that portfolio lenders would typically offer similar loan products and it sounds like that's the case, for the most part. With little experience, I suppose I can expect their "starter package". Since you're local, I'd love to get some recommendations from you on some good portfolio lenders in the area. I'd be covering the down payment with private money. I believe you said in your one-on-one interview with Brandon that you may have found some nearby.
Also, J, check your colleague requests... look for the one that's too long. ;-)
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Got it.
Regarding banks lending for REI and bank lending average rates... you can find some detail at fdic.gov. Of the 63 in Maryland, you'll probably find one that caters to NOO. fdic -> Industry Analysis > Bank Data & Statistics > Institution Directory then county (e.g. Baltimore) to find 7 under $100M to investigate.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by :
And thanks J. I'd hoped that portfolio lenders would typically offer similar loan products and it sounds like that's the case, for the most part. With little experience, I suppose I can expect their "starter package". Since you're local, I'd love to get some recommendations from you on some good portfolio lenders in the area. I'd be covering the down payment with private money. I believe you said in your one-on-one interview with Brandon that you may have found some nearby.
Also, J, check your colleague requests... look for the one that's too long. ;-)
The only bank in Maryland I've spoken with about portfolio loans has been Revere Bank. I believe there are a few others, but I don't know which in-particular offer portfolio loans.
@Ned Carey - Did you work with a local portfolio lender recently?
Also, do me a favor and shoot me the colleague request message to my personal email (in my signature). I get so many BP messages that I just can't keep up with them, and they get lost. But, I'm better with personal email...
Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
10y
@Matt Powell There is a huge difference between a portfolio lender and flip financing. No lender (portfolio or conventional) wants to finance flips (<12 months), because they don't have the opportunity to recoup their expenses to do the loan and make any money.
That is why there are hard money and private money lenders. They charge your points, higher rates, and that's how they make it worth while to lend you money for the short term.
Portfolio lenders are for situation when you have a buy and hold, but a conventional lender will not lend you (hit 10 loan limit, low credit, derogatory event, etc.).
Sure, you can get a portfolio or conventional loan, and flip the property. But you do that a few times, and you will be shut out from even buy and hold loans.
Unless of course, you are upfront with the lender and they have a product that meets the need.
Speak with @John Rubino or @Roger Lin in our area. Their business models are setup to support flips.
Catonsville, MD · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 21 votes
10y
Thanks @Upen Patel. I'll admit that you're the first person I've come across that has said portfolio loans aren't good for flips. Your logic is sound, but it's the first I've heard of it.
I get what you're saying about only being able to use portfolio lenders a few times for flips before being blacklisted, but surely there are alternatives to hard money for those of us with little experience, but with good credit and income...
Catonsville, MD · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 21 votes
10y
@Chris Martin Thanks very much for the tip. @J Scott also mentioned the same technique in his one-on-one interview with Brandon, but I wasn't able to get to the right section of the site. This is perfect. Much appreciated.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
10y
Matt Powell
First home mortgage in millersville Maryland
is a portfolio lender. Email me privately and I can give you more info
They will do single family (not multis, towns or condos). Not sure if they do fix and flips (as noted previously most lenders are not fans of these - two risky and not much upside for them)
But if buy and hold - they would be someone to talk to.
Catonsville, MD · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 21 votes
10y
So help me understand this. I assume what you're saying is that there's not enough time for the lender to collect any interest on their money when the borrower pays it all off in 3 months when his flipped house sells. But consider how I'd use a portfolio lender for a buy-and-hold property: I'd use their loan to purchase and rehab the property, and when I'd finished rehabbing in 3 months, I'd refinance the loan to a 30 year fixed (or whatever vehicle makes the most sense) and pay off the portfolio lender anyway. In both scenarios I've paid off the lender very early. I guess I don't see the value-add for the portfolio lenders with buy-and-hold deals when the outcome is often the same for them as flip deals.
Just trying to learn. I assume there's a puzzle piece I'm missing.
Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
10y
@Matt Powell What you are talking about is precisely why hard money/private money lenders exist. Unless you can find a lender that specifically does rehab/flip loans (for this whey will charge you points and/or higher rate), other lenders conventional or portfolio are focused on buy-n-hold financing.
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Regarding "I guess I don't see the value-add for the 'portfolio' lenders with buy-and-hold deals when the outcome is often the same for them as flip deals." When you run out of governemnt subsidized money (e.g. an under market, Fannie Mae subsidized loan) you may see the value-add the portfolio lenders bring to the table. I think the limit is 4 GSE loans. If that's your portfolio size limit, then I guess I don't disagree. As @Upen Patel points out there is a market for other lenders.
I've found that once you develop a relationship with a 'portfolio' lender, they will work with you (the borrower) on whatever project you have. Residential B/H, Fix/flip (even though I don't do this other bank borrowers do), apartment loans, commercial projects, collateralized lines, even industrial redevelopment... the point is that access to funding in general is the key. So that's the value-add. Can't say it better than @J Scott: "The whole point of a portfolio lender is that they have the authority to make their own underwriting guidelines and create their own loan products, and sometimes they'll go "off script" if the deal/investor warrants it."
Once you get going, a collateralized line is the way to fund flips. But you need to have some equity and operational history first.
Catonsville, MD · Member since 2014 · 89 posts · 21 votes
10y
Can you explain what a collateralized line is?
It sounds like portfolio lenders are a bit of a "chicken or the egg" situation. They won't lend to you if you haven't worked with them before, so how can you ever start working with them? My takeaway is that you may be able to find one that will work with you (I haven't had luck yet with good income, good credit, and no experience), but you'd go into it knowing your terms won't be much better than hard money. Maybe the most likely path of entry with portfolio lenders is to use hard money for your first couple deals to get that "experience" puzzle piece they're looking for, then maybe they'll work with you?
And good thoughts on the GSE limits. I'm just not there yet, so it hadn't crossed my mind. I was never saying portfolio lenders don't have their uses.. only saying that I didn't see the advantage for them to fund a rehab-then-rent deal and not a flip deal.
Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Collateralized line. In the simplest form, you pledge X properties in a 'pool' that is effectively an 'equity line'. You then can tap the equity line up to prescribed limits. The 'pool' contains unencumbered or high equity property depending on what you negotiate. The security is a UCC/DT filing covering the pool. You can add to or delete collateral (depending on your terms with the bank) with releases (similar to what builders do when selling individual properties in a subdivision) and the borrower is basically free to take draws at will. It is possible to substitute collateral but we've not done it directly. We have done releases, and they do get complex because of the cross collateralization.
An ideal pool for us consists of stabilized B/H with darw limits that provide funding for all the company's capital needs. In our case, 'X' is 7 with a draw limit of $250K. That's the cash for acquisitions. Hold 1 month, 3 month, whatever... the bank doesn't care. A borrower could sell a flip(*), replentish the pool, and repeat. Fix a B/H, add it to the pool (or create a new pool), or refinance and replentish the pool. Lots of flexibility depending on the borrower and the bank terms.
Regarding "My takeaway is that you may be able to find one that will work with you ... but you'd go into it knowing your terms won't be much better than hard money." I disagree. The CL rate is based on a rate spread and is comparable to the 5.34% rate for the bank across $474M in commercial loans. That rate, BTW, is based on the balance not the draw limit. The line 'fee' for most commercial banks, from a small (2) sample set, typically costs 1% of draw limit annually. That fee is negotiable.
(*) We don't flip. If you do, think about flipping in a different entity than your B/H portfolio