Advice on financing part of a flip with equity loan

4 Replies

Hello!

I've been thinking about flipping a property but I don't have the 20%+ to put down when financing with a HML. I currently own the home we live in and was thinking about refinancing it and taking out an equity loan to use as the downpayment on a fix and flip. Based on your experience or knowledge, would this be a bad idea? Is there a better/more creative way to get that money to put down?

@Larissa Luna If you can refi and do a HELOC on your primary residence for the purpose of your real estate investment portfolio.....go for it! Just dont use the funds to buy toys or use the house as a piggy bank, its tempting. Be disciplined and put the money back once you get the cash-out-refi for your flip. Most HELOCS are half a point above prime, so its cheap, cheap money. And, you get to write off the interest expense on the HELOC. A win-win. Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for the advice @Jack Bobeck . Do you think a equity LOAN would work as well? Or do you think a line of credit is the better way to go?

@Larissa Luna The loan is a permanent thing, it is there for the term and is always there. I like the line of credit options. Many banks will do 60-80% LTV, each has a different program. You borrow, use, and then put back when not needed. I like this much better than being on the hook every month for a payment, EVEN if you don't need the cash.

let's hope one day we don't need bank cash and can use our own for our own deals! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.