Examples of promissory note for purchasing with owner finance

Examples of promissory note for purchasing with owner finance

Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 34 votes

I am designing a couple options for the seller of SFR. I want to offer them the ability to sell to me with Seller Financing and I want to have all the paperwork completed upfront for them. Could you share an example of a promissory note you have used?

1Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 27 votes
8y

A seller financing promissory note is effectively identical to a promissory note you'd get from wells fargo or chase...

I'd focus on sharing the terms with them (interest rate, amortization period, monthly payments, balloon payment, etc..) and then just say you will close exactly the same way you'd close with a bank mortgage (title company, real estate lawyer, deed of trust, promissory note, etc..)

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Simply tell the closing attorney to write up a security deed and it will be recorded as a mortgage lien on the property. The same thing they do with a bank. They will offer you a lender's title insurance policy as well.

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    A seller financing promissory note is effectively identical to a promissory note you'd get from wells fargo or chase...

    I'd focus on sharing the terms with them (interest rate, amortization period, monthly payments, balloon payment, etc..) and then just say you will close exactly the same way you'd close with a bank mortgage (title company, real estate lawyer, deed of trust, promissory note, etc..)

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason Turo  The language is pretty simple, reviewing a copy of one I had my attorney do, it covers the amount, interest rate, term, payment date and amount.  There is additional language concerning late charges, if I default the reminding balance of the note becomes due immediately, etc.

    Definitely use an attorney for it.  I recall the note work itself was about $400.

    Good luck!

    - Tom

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.