• Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Votes |
Purchasing "subject to" in Texas

Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Posted Sep 16 2019, 07:14

Hi BP,

My father @Tom Knodt and I potentially have a motivated seller in Brenham, Texas (near College Station, between Houston and Austin) who we think would be a good candidate for a "subject to" purchase for a buy and hold rental.  (At first we looked into assuming the loan but have learned that these days it's not usually an option.) We have been trying to learn exactly how this would work, but there are still a few specifics we are unsure of so I wanted to post our plan here and see if anyone has any feedback.

Step 1: Talk to our attorney, we have a list of questions for him

1. Make sure he doesn’t advise against it in general
  2. Should we have the seller put the house into a land trust before we buy it to avoid due-on-sale clause? 
  3. Confirm that we can use the usual offer-to-purchase contract, but with “subject to" existing financing specified
  4. Can we use the attorney / escrow as an intermediary for the payments, to protect the seller?
  5. Do we also need to talk to a title company to make sure they will do it?
  6. Do we need to talk to the bank at all? I don’t think so

Step 2: Fully inform seller of how it works, have them sign OTP contract if agree

Step 3: Do an inspection and get rehab estimates (we already have some estimates, need to finalize so will probably include a contingency for this in OTP)

Step 4: Finalize amount and purchase property     

1. We will offer the seller a down payment in addition to taking over mortgage payments
  2. We will now just be paying the bank directly, instead of the seller paying the bank, correct? (the mortgage is with Chase bank)
  3. In lieu of a down payment, we are considering offering the seller monthly payments over 5 years, for a greater total amount. I think this would be considered a wrap?  Would we cut one check to the bank, and one to the seller then?

Step 5: Rehab and rent out 

Step 6: Cash out refi after stabilized, pay off loan & hopefully pull some cash out

1. How long do we have to wait for that?  Based on this thread I'm thinking it might be 12-24 months?

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Loading replies...