Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Gordon
Votes |
Best financing option/strategy with no W2 but plenty of assets.

Jonathan Gordon
Posted Jun 15 2021, 16:26

Hi Biggerpockets,

My family is moving up to Washington State this summer from California after selling out home and one of the things I want to get into is rentals. However, I am in a bit of a unique situation and not sure what the ideal option or strategy is. I have been pseudo-retired for several years after I sold a business and reinvested in stocks, crypto, and multi-family real estate partnerships. I have no W2 but I do have nearly $1m in equities and around 400k cash that I have to invest into either rental properties or purchase another small business. 

- My first instinct is to just buy a SFH or duplex in my area (Kitsap County, WA or Tacoma/Olympia) with cash and call it a day but I don't want to limit myself to that.

- I looked into portfolio loans on my equities through Well's Fargo but their rates are poor for accounts under $2mm and I'm not sure if I want to take that risk.

- Another option I've thought of is to BRRRR but use my own money as "hard money". I like this idea the best.

- I've also heard about portfolio loans or other commercial products that I might be able to use. I looked into these products years ago, and got the impression they had high interest rates and were not interested in low loan amounts so I never looked into them further.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to more information on portfolio loans and other commercial loans available, I would appreciate it. And if anyone has any advice on what they think the best strategy is for me in this case, I would appreciate that too. Also, before anyone asks, my purpose for investing in a real estate rental is to be a good steward of my money, maximize the value it brings to society, and challenge myself to grow as a investor by taking on the task of managing a rental.

~Jonathan

Loading replies...