Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reedsburg, WI
Votes |
Partnering with your own SDIRA???

Daniel Dietz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reedsburg, WI
Posted

Hello,

I think I am making headway understanding things in this realm of SDIRAs, but still have a bit of confusing.

I read in different places that a person 'Can partner with your own SDIRA' to do real estate deals. I am under the impression that this 'has to be done from the beginning' and 'cannot be undone'. Those two concepts I fully understand as my father, brother and I formed a three way partnership (LLC actually) that our three independent SDIRAs each own a third of. Started that way and has to stay that way.

I also am starting to understand, thanks to lot of help from here on BP, that I can NOT do a deal where my (or any other prohibited party's) SDIRA makes the 'down payment' (say 25%) towards a loan that I would then take out in my own name outside of the SDIRA.

Sooooo, how CAN these deals work then? Let's use a 125K property that I could get for 100K as an example.

• 1) Could my SDIRA be a 20% owner with 'cash' from the SDIRA (no loan), and then I put down 25% (20K) on a loan for the balance of the 80% (80K)? (my down would be the collateral for the traditional financing, NOT the value of the SDIRA portion)
  • 2) Could my SDIRA be a 20% owner, and use 'owner financing' for the remaining 80% with what ever terms we agreed to (25% down on that portion)?
  • 3) IF #1 or #2 could work, assume I went to refinance after seasoning for 2 years, and the property appraised at 125K. At that time, the SDIRA would still own 20% (25K) leaving 80% (100K with a loan balance of 55K) as non - SDIRA for conventional financing. If I could borrow 75% of the 'non - SDIRA' portion (75K), could I essentially 'cash out' by paying off the 55K loan on the non - SDIRA portion and recapturing my initial 20K down payment so that I could re-invest it into another property?

Thanks for any feedback,

Dan Dietz

Loading replies...