Cost segregation for W2 non-Real Estate Professional? I think it does, am I wrong?

Cost segregation for W2 non-Real Estate Professional? I think it does, am I wrong?

Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
Non-REP
Interests, dividends, capital gains, and rental income (W2 is TBD.  "Semi-retired" and may or may not rejoin the workforce.)

Just had a cost-segregation study completed.  Because we are non-REP, we can't leverage the bonus deprecation against our active income streams.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the cost-segregation, I could essentially pay no taxes for our rental income for quite a few years.

Example numbers:
$2m property purchase
$800k bonus depreciation
$125k rental income annually
No taxes paid on rental income for the next 6.4 years or so.  Is that correct?  Will this lower my AGI as well?  If so, my only taxable income would be interests, dividends, and capital gains.

If so, a cost segregation study makes complete sense in the medium term.  I can't utilize all the depreciation right away, but I can within 10-years.

It seems to me that once I exhaust my bonus depreciation, I may need to "rinse and repeat" the process of acquiring another property and running a cost segregation study again, etc.
2Reply
464 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael PlaksPro Member
Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Bob Dole:
Non-REP
Interests, dividends, capital gains, and rental income (W2 is TBD.  "Semi-retired" and may or may not rejoin the workforce.)

Just had a cost-segregation study completed.  Because we are non-REP, we can't leverage the bonus deprecation against our active income streams.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the cost-segregation, I could essentially pay no taxes for our rental income for quite a few years.

Example numbers:
$2m property purchase
$800k bonus depreciation
$125k rental income annually
No taxes paid on rental income for the next 6.4 years or so.  Is that correct?  Will this lower my AGI as well?  If so, my only taxable income would be interests, dividends, and capital gains.

If so, a cost segregation study makes complete sense in the medium term.  I can't utilize all the depreciation right away, but I can within 10-years.

It seems to me that once I exhaust my bonus depreciation, I may need to "rinse and repeat" the process of acquiring another property and running a cost segregation study again, etc.


Some major misunderstandings here, despite lavish praise from my colleagues.

1. The starting point is the deductions you already have: mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, management fees, maintenance, HOA and so on. And also regular depreciation. All of this is deducted from your $125k rental income. And it is quite possible that you already wipe out the entire $125k. If you offset the entire rental income, you should probably stop here.  No need for cost segregation. (With some exceptions.)

2. If you still have $25k left as a positive number, and you will continue having a positive $25k net income, then your $800k bonus depreciation would be erasing this $25k year after year until depleted - or until you sell the property.

3. $800k bonus on a $2MM property is a stretch, I'm afraid.

4. You will not lower your AGI below what you already have from your W2. You prevent your AGI from going up but you cannot push it down, unless it's under $150k. Then you have a limited window to push it down somewhat.

5. You need to plan for your exit from this property, for example a 1031 exchange.

More on depreciation: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/1121063-expla...

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • USA · Member since 2023 · 145 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Bob Dole You're on the right track. As a non-REP, bonus depreciation from the cost segregation study can only offset rental income. That said, if you actively participate in the rentals, you can deduct up to $25,000 of losses against active income like W-2 or other non-passive income (subject to the phaseout between $100k–$150k MAGI). With your numbers, the $800k deduction could wipe out several years of rental income and lower your AGI for that period. Once the bonus depreciation is used up, rental income becomes taxable again unless you acquire another property and repeat the process. Always more nuanced but that's a general overview. 

  • Julius VincentBusiness Member
    Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
    1y

    Hey @Bob Dole - Josh summed it up well. The $800K in bonus depreciation can definitely wipe out your net rental income for several years, but once that runs out, rental income becomes fully taxable again...which is why some investors “ladder” new acquisitions to keep generating depreciation. Also, depreciation lowers your basis, so plan ahead for recapture or a 1031 exchange down the road.

    One wrinkle: if you ever add a short-term rental and materially participate, those losses are treated as non-passive even without REPS. Same goes if you qualify as a REP and materially participate in your rentals. In both cases, those losses can offset ordinary income (like W-2 or business income), but not portfolio income such as dividends, interest, or capital gains.

    Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
    1y

    @Josh L. Can you define "actively participate?" They're NNN, but I send out invoices, pay CAM, taxes, etc. But it's limited. We're likely to hit the phaseout anyhow from other forms of passive income.

    I actually have a 2nd property I acquired about 6 years ago.  We did NOT do cost segregation on that one.  But it seems like I can still do it if I wanted to.  So that may be something to explore to further our depreciation carryover.

    My whole point of decreasing AGI is to better qualify for subsidies elsewhere, like ACA and when we get to medical, have a lower AGI for a better rate.

    @Josh L. thanks for the confirmation!

  • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
    1y

    @Julius Vincent There's no plans to sell property in my lifetime.  That will be for the next generation to figure out.  But they'll also get the step up cost basis as well.  I'm not here to build an empire, I'm here to create cashflow for retirement.  The next generation hopefully can leverage what we leave and build an empire (and give back to society as well!).  

    What I'm learning on BPs and in general about real estate in regards to taxes & depreciation is wild.  Knowing what I know now, I should have gotten into being a REP.  But no use crying over spilled milk and I really can't complain about our situation.  I will however leverage my new found knowledge to put us in an even better position.

    • Julius VincentBusiness Member
      Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bob Dole:

      @Julius Vincent There's no plans to sell property in my lifetime.  That will be for the next generation to figure out.  But they'll also get the step up cost basis as well.  I'm not here to build an empire, I'm here to create cashflow for retirement.  The next generation hopefully can leverage what we leave and build an empire (and give back to society as well!).  

      What I'm learning on BPs and in general about real estate in regards to taxes & depreciation is wild.  Knowing what I know now, I should have gotten into being a REP.  But no use crying over spilled milk and I really can't complain about our situation.  I will however leverage my new found knowledge to put us in an even better position.


      That’s a smart long-term view. If you hold property until you pass, your heirs inherit it with a full step-up in basis to fair market value, so all the depreciation you’ve taken during your lifetime essentially gets wiped clean.

      A simple revocable trust doesn’t change the tax treatment (still preserves the step-up) but it does make the transfer smoother by avoiding probate. Some types of irrevocable trusts can also preserve the step-up if structured with retained powers, while others may not, so the design really matters. 

      Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bob Dole:
    Non-REP
    Interests, dividends, capital gains, and rental income (W2 is TBD.  "Semi-retired" and may or may not rejoin the workforce.)

    Just had a cost-segregation study completed.  Because we are non-REP, we can't leverage the bonus deprecation against our active income streams.  

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the cost-segregation, I could essentially pay no taxes for our rental income for quite a few years.

    Example numbers:
    $2m property purchase
    $800k bonus depreciation
    $125k rental income annually
    No taxes paid on rental income for the next 6.4 years or so.  Is that correct?  Will this lower my AGI as well?  If so, my only taxable income would be interests, dividends, and capital gains.

    If so, a cost segregation study makes complete sense in the medium term.  I can't utilize all the depreciation right away, but I can within 10-years.

    It seems to me that once I exhaust my bonus depreciation, I may need to "rinse and repeat" the process of acquiring another property and running a cost segregation study again, etc.


    Some major misunderstandings here, despite lavish praise from my colleagues.

    1. The starting point is the deductions you already have: mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, management fees, maintenance, HOA and so on. And also regular depreciation. All of this is deducted from your $125k rental income. And it is quite possible that you already wipe out the entire $125k. If you offset the entire rental income, you should probably stop here.  No need for cost segregation. (With some exceptions.)

    2. If you still have $25k left as a positive number, and you will continue having a positive $25k net income, then your $800k bonus depreciation would be erasing this $25k year after year until depleted - or until you sell the property.

    3. $800k bonus on a $2MM property is a stretch, I'm afraid.

    4. You will not lower your AGI below what you already have from your W2. You prevent your AGI from going up but you cannot push it down, unless it's under $150k. Then you have a limited window to push it down somewhat.

    5. You need to plan for your exit from this property, for example a 1031 exchange.

    More on depreciation: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/1121063-expla...

  • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
    1y

    @Michael Plaks My fault for not clarifying.

    1.  The $125k is net. Gross is much more.  Like you said, mort interest, prop taxes, insurance, CAM, etc.  

    2.  Agreed, at $25k, I could take the straightline depreciation and still not be able to use it all.

    3.  It's $800k for 5 years, the first year is right around $500k

    4.  Great point on the AGI!  I can't decrease it, but I can avoid adding to it.  Which in this case is my goal.

    5.  Can you expand on this?  Is it due to the recapture of depreciation?  As of now, there are no plans to exit the property.  When we're gone, the next generation can get a step up cost basis and also eliminate all the depreciation recapture.  (unless I'm ignorant about this)

    • Michael PlaksPro Member
      Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bob Dole:

      @Michael Plaks My fault for not clarifying.

      5.  Can you expand on this?  Is it due to the recapture of depreciation?  As of now, there are no plans to exit the property.  When we're gone, the next generation can get a step up cost basis and also eliminate all the depreciation recapture.  (unless I'm ignorant about this)


      This is an excellent plan, as long as the property remains attractive. Often investors find better opportunities from redeploying their capital elsewhere.

  • USA · Member since 2023 · 145 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Bob Dole good question. Heres from IRS Publication 925: 

    Active participation.

    Active participation isn’t the same as material participation (defined later). Active participation is a less stringent standard than material participation. For example, you may be treated as actively participating if you make management decisions in a significant and bona fide sense. Management decisions that count as active participation include approving new tenants, deciding on rental terms, approving expenditures, and similar decisions.

    @Michael Plaks Thanks for clarifying. On the AGI point, I may have been loose with semantics. What I meant is that by wiping out rental income through depreciation, you’re effectively reducing AGI.

    • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Josh L.:

      @Bob Dole good question. Heres from IRS Publication 925: 

      Active participation.

      Active participation isn’t the same as material participation (defined later). Active participation is a less stringent standard than material participation. For example, you may be treated as actively participating if you make management decisions in a significant and bona fide sense. Management decisions that count as active participation include approving new tenants, deciding on rental terms, approving expenditures, and similar decisions.


      Based on this, then I am an active participate as I'm the one working on the lease renewal negotiations, sending out invoice, paying bills, etc.  The trick then would be to get the rest of my income below 150k or 100k to get more of the $25k.  I may or may not have control over that with dividend paying equities and bonds.  Will definitely need to dig more into this.  

      Honestly, I'm pretty happy with just being able to offset all the rental income at this point.  

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    is the $125,000 rental income net since this is a NNN property?

    If this is Net after operating expenses, it is likely good that you got a cost segregation study as it will likely wipe out your income for a few years.

    If the $125,000 is gross and does not include your operating expenses, I prolly would not have gotten the cost segregation study as the $125,000 will be wiped out by operating expenses and normal depreciation.

    Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2021 · 517 posts · 408 votes
    1y

    I'm a broker and PM up in Sacrmaneot. Most of my clients are buying STR's to turn their rentals into ACTIVE income, which entirely changes the calculation. This is by far the easiest way to take advantage of bonus depreciation against W2 income IMO. As always, consult a tax professional / financial planner.

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y
    I have a similar question and have seen such great insight here from the experts!  I Emptied $300,000 from a 401K, for which I am set up to pay dearly on taxes.  I used about $160,000 as a down on a $300,000 single family rental.  from my understanding, the only way to offset the taxes is with a REP status.  My thought is to purchase an STR and perform painting, booking, yard maintenance, and cleaning ourselves to meet the 100 hours needed for the STR loophole. All of this and a cost seg should negate the tax hit.  Am I correct on this line of thinking?
  • USA · Member since 2023 · 145 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Wes Fromlath Good question, there’s quite a lot in here that would need further formal unpacking. You’re mentioning just one of the seven rules (only one is needed; 500 hrs is the safe harbor) for material participation. Here’s an excerpt (see below) from the IRS Audit Technique Passive Activity Guide on this rule, which covers more than just the 100 hours. 

    Further, not sure of your purchase range, but you would need a rather large purchase to generate $300k in losses. And as a reminder, this would just be a tax deferral. Again, there’s a lot here, so it would be best to walk through all the specific facts and circumstances not readily apparent in your post with your tax professional, as this requires good documentation and not “ballpark guesstimates,” as noted by the courts.

    From ATG

    100 hours and more than anyone else: The taxpayer must not only prove he worked more than 100 hours, but more than anyone else. He must be ready to provide evidence of the participation of others. 

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y
    Thanks for the input.  My plan was to cost seg both properties.  Also, I am purchasing a business for 20K and looking at the purchase of a new truck that is 100% for the business.  Hoping I have enough to nock a significant portion of the tax bill down.
  • USA · Member since 2023 · 145 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Wes Fromlath good deal and no problem! Seems like you have plenty to assess / work through as 2025 comes to a close! 

  • William ThompsonBusiness Member
    Accountant · Williamstown, NJ · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 178 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bob Dole:
    Non-REP
    Interests, dividends, capital gains, and rental income (W2 is TBD.  "Semi-retired" and may or may not rejoin the workforce.)

    Just had a cost-segregation study completed.  Because we are non-REP, we can't leverage the bonus deprecation against our active income streams.  

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the cost-segregation, I could essentially pay no taxes for our rental income for quite a few years.

    Example numbers:
    $2m property purchase
    $800k bonus depreciation
    $125k rental income annually
    No taxes paid on rental income for the next 6.4 years or so.  Is that correct?  Will this lower my AGI as well?  If so, my only taxable income would be interests, dividends, and capital gains.

    If so, a cost segregation study makes complete sense in the medium term.  I can't utilize all the depreciation right away, but I can within 10-years.

    It seems to me that once I exhaust my bonus depreciation, I may need to "rinse and repeat" the process of acquiring another property and running a cost segregation study again, etc.

    You’re on the right track—cost segregation is powerful even if you’re not a REP. In your scenario, the $800K bonus depreciation can definitely shelter that $125K of rental income for several years. Just note: it won’t offset active/W2 income since you’re non-REP, but it will lower your AGI by reducing taxable rental income, which can also help with things like NIIT exposure. And yes, many investors do the ‘rinse and repeat’ approach—layering new acquisitions and cost segs to keep depreciation flowing. The real key is planning when to deploy it so you maximize both cash flow and tax efficiency.
    RE Accounting and Tax Professionals LLC522 Reviews
  • Dr · VA · Member since 2025 · 154 posts · 34 votes
    1y

    In order to fully benefit from the tax advantages, you must either meet the Real Estate Professional (REP) status and materially participate in the activity, or I would recommend considering a Short-Term Rental (STR) strategy to reclassify the income as non-passive. Otherwise, proceeding with a cost segregation study may increase your passive losses, which could be suspended if you are unable to offset them against passive income.

  • William ThompsonBusiness Member
    Accountant · Williamstown, NJ · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 178 votes
    1y

    I fully agree. That’s why it’s critical to evaluate each situation in the context of the client’s overall tax strategy to determine what makes the most sense and provides the greatest value for their portfolio. A cost segregation study can be powerful, but the decision to move forward should come only after careful analysis and planning — ensuring it truly aligns with both the immediate and long-term goals of the investor.

    RE Accounting and Tax Professionals LLC522 Reviews
  • Investor · Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    8mo

    I fully agree. I did an engineered study on one of my rentals, and the key takeaway was that it's a strategic tool, not a default move. You have to run the numbers within your entire portfolio's strategy. The upfront deduction is great for cash flow, but you need to model it against your tax bracket, exit plan, and long-term wealth goals to see if the ROI is truly there for your situation.

  • Investor · Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    8mo

    You've got many practical strategies here @Bob Dole

    In my honest remarks, I also had the same advantage in my passive rental income. I had Cost segregation guys and fully assessed their accurate bonus depreciation. My CPA agreed that this is an ideal strategy for my tax situation.

  • Gian PazziaBusiness Member
    Specialist · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2024 · 38 posts · 15 votes
    7mo

    A few quick clarifications: 

    • Cost seg isn’t “free tax”, it accelerates depreciation (timing/deferral).

    • As a non-REP, the losses are generally passive, so they offset passive income (rents) unless you qualify for the $25k active participation allowance (phases out $100k–$150k MAGI).

    • The “no tax for X years” math only works if your taxable net rental income is still positive after all expenses + regular depreciation. A lot of deals are already near zero taxable.

    • If you already wipe out the rental income, cost seg may just create a big suspended passive loss you use later (still valuable, just not immediate).

    • Bottom line: cost seg can be great, but it’s a planning tool — run it through your full picture (taxable net, carryforwards, exit plan).

    • Michael PlaksPro Member
      Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Gian Pazzia:

      A few quick clarifications: 

      • Cost seg isn’t “free tax”, it accelerates depreciation (timing/deferral).

      • As a non-REP, the losses are generally passive, so they offset passive income (rents) unless you qualify for the $25k active participation allowance (phases out $100k–$150k MAGI).

      • The “no tax for X years” math only works if your taxable net rental income is still positive after all expenses + regular depreciation. A lot of deals are already near zero taxable.

      • If you already wipe out the rental income, cost seg may just create a big suspended passive loss you use later (still valuable, just not immediate).

      • Bottom line: cost seg can be great, but it’s a planning tool — run it through your full picture (taxable net, carryforwards, exit plan).


      I'm genuinely impressed by a cost seg person posting such a balanced thoughtful comment and not the typical "cost seg is a non-brainer saving you thousands" statement. Thumbs up!

  • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
    Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Bob Dole:
    Non-REP
    Interests, dividends, capital gains, and rental income (W2 is TBD.  "Semi-retired" and may or may not rejoin the workforce.)

    Just had a cost-segregation study completed.  Because we are non-REP, we can't leverage the bonus deprecation against our active income streams.  

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the cost-segregation, I could essentially pay no taxes for our rental income for quite a few years.

    Example numbers:
    $2m property purchase
    $800k bonus depreciation
    $125k rental income annually
    No taxes paid on rental income for the next 6.4 years or so.  Is that correct?  Will this lower my AGI as well?  If so, my only taxable income would be interests, dividends, and capital gains.

    If so, a cost segregation study makes complete sense in the medium term.  I can't utilize all the depreciation right away, but I can within 10-years.

    It seems to me that once I exhaust my bonus depreciation, I may need to "rinse and repeat" the process of acquiring another property and running a cost segregation study again, etc.

     Hi @Bob Dole, owner of Maven Cost Segregation here.

    You’re mostly right.

    As a non-REP, cost segregation won’t offset W-2 or portfolio income, but it can shelter rental income for several years, which is still meaningful. Unused depreciation isn’t lost; it carries forward, so this is really about timing, not elimination.

    The only caution is the “rinse and repeat” idea. It works when income and basis line up, but you can also stack suspended losses faster than you can use them. Still a solid medium-term strategy when the math supports it.
    Hope that helps!

    Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @Bob Dole,

    So much great input already above, Bob and I’m a bit late to the thread, but I’ll add a tax-focused lens to help tighten the conclusion you’re reaching.

    Your understanding is largely correct. As a non-REP, the accelerated depreciation from a cost segregation study creates passive losses, which cannot offset interest, dividends, capital gains, or future W-2 income, but they can fully offset your rental income. Using your example, if the property generates about $125k of annual rental income and you produced roughly $800k of bonus depreciation, it’s very reasonable that you could pay little to no tax on that rental income for several years. Any unused passive losses simply carry forward and continue to shield future passive income. This does not broadly lower AGI the way active losses would, so your portfolio income remains taxable, but your rental income can effectively drop out of the tax equation for quite some time.

    You’re also thinking correctly about the longer-term strategy. Cost segregation is a timing tool, not a one-off benefit. Once the accelerated depreciation is largely absorbed, many non-REPs “refresh” the tax shield by acquiring another property and running a new cost seg, continuing to manage taxable rental income over time. Just keep in mind that depreciation is a deferral, not permanent elimination, so recapture matters on sale unless you hold long-term or use a 1031. When used intentionally, though, this is one of the most powerful ways non-REPs can control taxes on rental income without needing REP status.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Member since 2026 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    2d

    Your core read is mostly right for a non-REP with long-term rentals: the bonus depreciation from cost seg is generally passive, so it offsets rental (passive) income and unused passive losses carry forward. It does not freely wipe W-2 / portfolio income the way a REPS nonpassive loss can.

    On your example ($2M buy, $800k bonus, ~$125k annual net rental): yes, you can often shelter several years of that rental net until the suspended passive loss is used up, subject to basis and at-risk limits. Then rental profits show up again unless you add more depreciable basis (another buy, improvements) or later qualify for a nonpassive path.

    Extra gates people miss:

    The $25k active-participation allowance against nonpassive income phases out as MAGI rises ($100k-$150k area), so do not count on it if income is high.

    Section 461(l) excess business loss can still cap how much nonpassive business loss you use in one year even after REPS.

    Depreciation lowers basis, so plan sale / 1031 / recapture before you treat the shield as free money.

    A simple year-by-year schedule (rental net, passive loss used, carryforward left) is enough to sanity-check the "6.4 years" math with your CPA. Not advice for that study. Match the cost-seg report classes to your actual placed-in-service year before you file.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    1d

    One thing nobody's addressed yet: that 2nd property you acquired about 6 years ago with no cost seg study. You're not stuck — a look-back cost seg study plus Form 3115 with a 481(a) adjustment lets you claim all the missed depreciation on this year's return, no amended returns needed. One heads-up: the bonus rate follows the placed-in-service year, so the catch-up math uses the old phase-down rates, not 100%.

    And the part people get backwards: the IRS's allowed-or-allowable rule treats you as if you took that depreciation whether you claimed it or not. Skipping the study doesn't protect you from recapture at sale — it just leaves the deduction unclaimed. Run it by your CPA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.