• Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Presented with terms and conditions after paying for property

Nat C.
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Jun 9 2014, 09:52

This is a fairly hardcore legal question, so I'm doubting anyone can help much but I wanted to throw it out there.

I bought a property in Florida last year and paid the whole sum upfront- no EMD, just the full sale price. AFTER I paid this I was sent a conditional re-occupancy certificate which basically says the city has inspected the property and found it to be gutted and it has been turned into a 3 unit property when it's only meant to be a SFR. The conditional re-occupancy certificate says the new buyer has 365 days from closing to complete rehab the property and either return it to a SFR or acquire the permits to change its usage to a MFR.

I told the closing attorney immediately that I didn't agree to these conditions, I no longer wanted to buy the property knowing the new information and I wished to back out of the sale.

The closing attorney informed me I would lose my entire $150,000 if I didn't sign the paper. I reluctantly signed it as I didn't want to lose $150,000.

I am wondering if there is an action for recourse and who I would take legal action against in this matter?

Loading replies...