forming an LLC

5 Replies

I am about to form my LLC. My wife works for a national housing builder and is not permitted to be a member of a company that deals in real estate. Should I be the only member or should I have my (under 18) child be a small percentage member?

Make it a single-member LLC, with you as the member. Good luck.

@Shawn McCormick

The best thing would be to consult an attorney/tax professional. There are some disadvantages of having a Single Member LLC..check this article. I would spend sometime thinking about long term objectives and what you wish to accomplish from tax as well as asset protection stand point.

Anyways Good Luck

I would consult a lawyer. Not sure if a single LLC is right for you at this time. What might be better is go it for the first house and get large insurance policy for protection.

Note:  Please check with the Wife's company because I ran into something like this and they actually required me to divest stocks and on a quarterly interval declare any actions.

Thank you @azeezk, that article helped a lot. I plan on sitting down with an attorney that specializes in real estate and is connected thru my REI club.

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here