Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
James Calabrese
  • Santa Monica, CA
Votes |
Form LLC for write offs regardless of buying in my name or LLC?

James Calabrese
  • Santa Monica, CA
Posted Sep 15 2015, 22:50

Have been studying up for a bit, and it's time for me to get started as an investor. I read the other day that if I form a LLC I could be writing off A LOT of my daily expenses since my home is partially used as an office for my investing work and I may drive/fly to visit investment opportunities, etc etc. This seemed amazing to me, and I couldn't wait to form a LLC, get a credit card for business expenses, and feel smug come tax day.

Separately, I've read a lot of debates around buying investments under my personal name or under a LLC. Regardless of the right answer to that debate for me, why the heck don't a go ahead and form my LLC so I can write off all these business expenses (internet, gas, phone, flights, etc). Can I be doing these right offs under and LLC even if I end up buying my first investment in my own name?

I know the best answer is "talk to a local CPA who is familiar with real estate investing", but want to get the BP insights. Also, anyone know a great CPA familiar with real estate investing in the Santa Monica or Los Angeles area? 

Cheers!

Loading replies...